Wednesday’s Game Tips At 2:30 P.M. ET
PARADISE ISLAND, The Bahamas — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team is at one of the premier early-season basketball tournaments in college basketball this week, squaring off against Wisconsin in the first round of the Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis on Wednesday. The field at this year’s Battle is of NCAA Regional quality, with BYU, Butler, Kansas, North Carolina State and USC joining Flyers and Badgers in the Bahamas. Wednesday’s game time is 2:30 p.m. ET.
Dayton is 3-1 after Saturday’s 60-51 win over Robert Morris at home. Toumani Camara led UD with 11 points, 14 rebounds, three assists and two steals. DaRon Homes II was the game’s high scorer with 18 points and Mustapha Amzil added 12 off the bench.
The Flyers are the preseason favorite in the Atlantic 10. Dayton returns all five starters from a team that finished 24-11, and tied for second in the A-10 with a 14-4 record.
Wednesday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio and televised on ESPN2. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara has been a beast on the boards in 2022-23. His 12.3 rebounds a game is sixth in the nation and leads the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in the three games he has started and finished, including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU. He had six in 12 minutes before being injured and not returning at UNLV.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (6) and is second in blocked shots (4). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• Camara is this season’s team captain.
• Anthony Grant is two wins away from being the 13th active African-American D-I coach to reach 300 wins. The others are Tommy Amaker, Mike Anderson, Rod Barnes, Ed Cooley, Mike Davis, Leonard Hamilton, Ron Hunter, James Jones, Ritchie McKay, Lorenzo Romar and Kelvin Sampson.
• DaRon Holmes II (first team), Toumani Camara (second team) and Malachi Smith (second team) were all named Preseason All-Atlantic 10 in a vote of the coaches and selected media this year. Holmes and Smith were also on the Preseason All-Defensive Team.
•.Holmes has been named to a pair of prestigious watch lists — the L.A. Athletic Club’s John Wooden Player of the Year, and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (13.7), is second in rebounding (6.0), assists (3.0) and steals (4). He also has 11 blocked shots in the four games.
• Smith made his season debut Saturday after missing several weeks with an ankle injury. The Flyer point guard started and played 21 minutes (five points, three assists, three steals).
• Mustapha Amzil has come off the bench in all four games this season, and reached double figures in all three wins. His 12.3 ppg. scoring average is second on the team.
• Dayton’s four A-10 regular season losses last year included three by a total of four points.
• The Battle 4 Atlantis continues Thursday with UD playing either Kansas or NC State.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS