Mustapha Amzil And DaRon Holmes II Lead The Flyers With 20 Points Each
DAYTON – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team defeated Southern Methodist University in their second game of the season on Friday by a score of 74-62.
The Flyers were led by redshirt sophomore Mustapha Amzil and DaRon Holmes II, who both scored 20 points. Kobe Elvis and Mike Sharavjamts wrapped up the double digit scoring Flyers, both with 10. Toumani Camara had a college career high in rebounds with 18.
1st Half: Dayton 29, SMU 24
• The Mustangs scored the first basket of the game after a backdoor cut found an open layup.
• Toumani Camara got the scoring underway for the Flyers with a slam dunk off the feed from DaRon Holmes II.
• Mike Sharavjamts took the ball coast-to-coast off of a defensive rebound to give the Flyers their first lead of the game 4-2.
• Mustapha Amzil came off the bench to score the first three-point field goal of the night for the Flyers at the 15:16 mark.
• Flyers went on a 13-0 run to extend the lead to 17-7 before the Mustangs retaliated with a three-point field goal.
• Holmes snapped a 6:27 scoring drought for the flyers with a 10-foot hook shot which made the lead 24-17.
• The Flyers dominated the glass with 28 first-half rebounds, nine of which were offensive rebounds leading to eight second-chance points.
• Dayton looked to the paint in the first half scoring 20 of their 29 first half points under the hoop.
• The Flyers struggled offensively to close out the half, scoring only nine points in the last 12:30 of the half.
• Two Flyers in double-digits at the half, Amzil (10) and Holmes II (11).
• It was a defensive-heavy half from both teams with 12 total turnovers, six on each side.
• Dayton’s defensive pressure forced a low efficiency half from the Mustangs shooting only 28%.
• The Flyer’s transition defense was flawless this half holding the Mustangs to zero fastbreak points.
• The Flyers bench played a big role in the first half, outscoring the Mustangs’ bench 10-3.
• Dayton remained in control throughout the half, leading for 15:34 of the half and not allowing the Mustangs to take a lead after the 15:16 mark.
2nd Half: Dayton 74 , SMU 62
• Sharavjamts scored the first basket of the second half with a corner three off of an inbound play drawn up for him.
• The Flyers ramped up the intensity forcing the Mustangs into early foul trouble putting Dayton in the bonus at 13:26.
• The Mustangs went on a 12-5 run, holding Dayton to zero field goals, to cut the lead to only 5 at 49-46.
• Dayton’s shooting struggles continued early in the half, starting 5-13 from the field.
• Sharavjamts joined the double-digit club for the Flyers by knocking down his second three-point field goal of the night.
• After the Mustangs made two free throws, the score was tied 59-59 with 5:00 remaining.
• Blakney made his first three of the game to give the lead back to Dayton 62-59.
• Holmes II had a huge block at the rim to keep the Flyer lead 63-60 with 2:30 remaining.
• Amzil came onto the court and hit a three-pointer, followed by a Holmes II layup to bring the Flyers up 68-62 with 1:27 remaining.
• The Flyers closed out the game with an 11-0 run to close the game 74-62.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Mustapha Amzil and DaRon Holmes II led the Flyers in scoring with 20 points each.
• Amzil was 5-of-9 from the field, 3-of-6 from beyond the arc, and 7-of-7 from the line.
• Holmes was 7-of-11 shooting.
• Toumani Camara led the Flyers in rebounding with 18, which is his college career high for the Flyers. His previous best was 17, set against Montana on Dec. 8, 2020 when he played for Georgia. His Dayton high was 14, last season against Richmond in the A-10 tournament semifinals on March 12, 2022.
• Four Flyers had double-digit evenings in points, led by Mustapha Amzil and DaRon Holmes II who both had 20 points each. Kobe Elvis and Mike Sharavjamts each had 10 points.
• Even though Camara did not reach double figures, he led UD with a +/- rating of 17.
• Camara also guarded all five positions at varying points in the game.
• Five is the number of blocks DaRon Holmes II registered in the Flyers win against SMU. He had all of Dayton’s blocks on the night.
• Five is also the number assists Kobe Elvis had, for the second consecutive game. Holmes added three.
• Mustapha Amzil had all 20 points off the bench for Dayton tonight as he played an essential role in the Flyers win.
• The Flyers won the battle of the boards 44-36.
• Dayton had 14 second-chance points throughout the night, which paid dividends in the 12-point win against the Mustangs.
• The Flyers head to Las Vegas to face UNLV on Tuesday, Nov. 15th at the Thomas & Mack Center for their third regular season game.
• Game time is 11 p.m. ET.
• UD is back home on Saturday, Nov. 19 against Robert Morris. Games time is 1 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS