CINCINNATI — The Xavier University Musketeers, coming off the 2022 NIT Championship season, host the Morgan State University Bears on Monday night at Cintas Center. The Opening Night game also marks the official return of head coach Sean Miller, who was the Xavier head coach from 2004-09.
XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (0-0, 0-0 BIG EAST)
MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY BEARS (0-0, 0-0 MEAC)
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2022
7:30 P.M. AT CINTAS CENTER (10,224)
Television: FS1 as part of BIG EAST OPENING NIGHT TIP-OFF with play by-play from Telly Hughes and analysis from Dickey Simpkins. Coverage of Xavier’s game and all seven other BIG EAST games will be available in their entirety on the FOX Sports App and FOXSports.com.
Radio: 55KRC with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer Joe Sunderman (’79) and analysis from XU all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin (’88).
Xavier used a dominant 35-18 second half to win its lone public exhibition game, 80-62, over NCAA Division II Kentucky Wesleyan on Nov. 2 at Cintas Center. Senior Zach Freemantle led XU with 22 points, 13 rebounds, five assists and two blocks.
• Xavier has won 32 straight regular season openers (31 at home, including the last 23). XU is 22-0 in season openers at Cintas Center.
• Xavier opens the 2022-23 regular season with a four-game homestand.
• Xavier head coach Sean Miller returns for his sixth season at the helm. Miller was the XU head coach for five seasons from 2004-09.
• Xavier junior Colby Jones was named Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team by the league coaches. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced he is on the 20-member Watch List for the 2023 Julius Erving Award; the annual honor recognizes the top small forward in college basketball.
• Xavier graduate student Jack Nunge was named Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team by the league coaches. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame has Nunge among the 20 Watch List members for the 2023 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award; the annual honor recognizes the top center in college basketball.
• Xavier sold out its full season tickets at 8,400 for this season.
• Xavier won the 2022 National Invitation Tournament title with wins over three SEC teams (Florida, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M), Cleveland State and St. Bonaventure. 2022 NIT MVP Colby Jones and All-NIT Jack Nunge lead the returnees.
SALUTE TO SERVICE
Xavier will host a Salute to Service on Opening Night, the regular season opener vs. Morgan State on Monday, November 7 at Cintas Center. In celebration of Veteran’s Day and for appreciation to the men and women who have served, or are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, Xavier will provide two complimentary tickets to the game against Morgan State, while supplies last.
The offer is available to all military and government service personnel with an active military ID or retired personnel through AFTA-Cincinnati.org or in person at the Xavier Athletics Ticket Office in advance of game day through Monday, November 7. Limited tickets remain.
For more information, call the Xavier Athletics Ticket Office at (513) 745-3411 extension 7.
COURTESY XAVIER ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS