YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – A record-setting day by Youngstown State was too much to overcome Saturday, as YSU defeated the University of Dayton Flyers 49-16 at Stambaugh Stadium in Youngstown.
The Flyers are now 1-1 on the year, while the Penguins improve to 2-0.
1st Quarter – Youngstown State 21, Dayton 0
- YSU forced a three-and-out after the opening kickoff, and then drove 57 yard in eight plays to set the tone for the quarter.
- First downs were 8-2 in favor of the Penguins, and Youngstown had 153 yards in total offense (73 rushing, 80 passing), while Dayton had 43 (19 rushing, 24 passing).
- UD quarterback Dante Casciola was six of 10 passing, while his counterpart for YSU, Demeatric Crenshaw, was four-for-six, with three of his completions going for scores.
2nd Quarter – Youngstown State 28, Dayton 10
- A Cole Hildebrand fumble recovery (he also forced the fumble) set up a short field and got Dayton on the board with a 34-yard field goal by Sam Webster with 10:53 left in the half.
- The Flyers also had a touchdown drive of 82 yards in eight plays, scoring on a Casciola to Jake Chisholm eight-yard pass.
- In between, Crenshaw threw his fourth TD pass.
- First downs were even in the quarter (5-to-5). Stats were almost even, with YSU gaining 100 (37, rushing, 63 passing) and Dayton getting 98 (24 rushing, 64 passing).
3rd Quarter – Youngstown State 35, Dayton 10
- There were only six possessions in the period (three for each team).
- Youngstown State scored on its third series of the quarter.
- YSU had four first downs, while UD had two.
- The Penguins gained 112 yards (77 rushing, 35 passing), while the Flyers gained 29 (27 pass, 2 rush).
4th Quarter – Youngstown State 49, Dayton 16
- Jeremy Jonozzo recovered a fumble forced by Drew Robertson at the YSU 23 to give Dayton a short field, and three plays later Casciola scored on a four-yard scrum with 8:08 left in the game to make the score 35-16 (the two-point try was unsuccessful).
- Youngstown scored the last two touchdowns of the game.
- Crenshaw tied the school record for individual TD passes thrown with his fifth at the 6:01 mark.
- Backup Mitch Davidson’s only pass of the game set the YSU team mark with 3:51 to go.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Dante Casciola completed 17 of 26 passes for 134 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
- Luke Brenner (46 yards), Kyle Hazell (37 yards) and Derek Willits (16 yards) each caught three passes.
- Ben Schmiesing led UD with eight tackles.
- Cole Hildebrand had seven hits (team six solo) with a fumble forced and recovered on the same play.
- The Flyers scored in their 499th consecutive game, an NCAA record.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS