‘Joe Theismann: A Football Life’ Premieres Friday, September 16 at 9:00 PM ET & PT on NFL Network
“There are certain guys that I think are born to play quarterback and that’s Joe Theismann.” – Rick “Doc” Walker
The 11th season of the Emmy-nominated and highly acclaimed NFL Films-produced series A Football Life premieres Friday, September 16 at 9:00 PM ET and PT on NFL Network with a profile of Super Bowl champion quarterback Joe Theismann. The one-hour show features sit-down interviews with Theismann, former teammates such as Rick “Doc” Walker, Art Monk and Mark Moseley, former head coach Joe Gibbs and others.
Among the topics discussed in Joe Theismann: A Football Life include:
- Growing up in South River, NJ where he was a three-sport athlete in high school
- His prolific collegiate career at Notre Dame and the famous “Theismann for Heisman” campaign
- Early struggles in Washington and his relationship with head coach Joe Gibbs
- Leading Washington to its first Super Bowl title and winning the 1983 NFL MVP Award
- A conversation between Lawrence Taylor and Theismann about his infamous 1985 career-ending leg injury in a game against the New York Giants
- His post-football career as an NFL broadcaster for over 20 years
Emmy-nominated actor Josh Charles narrates.
Joe Theismann: A Football Life includes interviews with the following people:
- Joe Theismann
- Robin Theismann – Wife
- Joe Gibbs – Pro Football Hall of Fame head coach
- Rick “Doc” Walker – Washington teammate
- Art Monk – Washington teammate & Pro Football Hall of Fame wide receiver
- Mark Moseley – Washington teammate
- Lawrence Taylor – Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker
- Michael Wilbon – Former Washington Post sportswriter
- Drew Pearson – High school teammate & Pro Football Hall of Fame wide receiver
Provided below are some select quotes from Joe Theismann: A Football Life:
– “There are certain guys that I think are born to play quarterback and that’s Joe Theismann.” – Rick “Doc” Walker
– “I loved the game. I was a guy that had a chance to play with a great football team. I walk out on that football field and the memories come back like yesterday.” – Joe Theismann
– “We were the best in the NFL and you have to have a great quarterback to do that. Joe was that quarterback.” – Joe Gibbs
– “I think he’s been overlooked as one of the best quarterbacks to play in the NFL. Why he’s not in the Hall of Fame, I don’t know.” – Mark Moseley
– “He was not that big. But what was big was his heart and his ego. You could not keep Joey down.” – Drew Pearson
– “People say ‘What is it like to win a Super Bowl?’ It’s almost indescribable because it’s an experience that you have in your life that very few people are able to go to.” – Joe Theismann
– “Theismann was the guy that was most notably going to go right into the booth and be great at it.” – Michael Wilbon on Theismann’s transition to the broadcast booth
All NFL Network programming is available across multiple devices (smartphone, PC, tablet and connected TVs) through the NFL app and NFL Network app for subscribers of participating NFL Network providers, and with NFL+. Visit NFL.com/watch for more information on how to watch and visit NFL.com/plus/learn-more for more information on NFL+.
Below is a broadcast schedule for remaining episodes of A Football Life this season:
- September 23 – Rod Woodson
- November 18 – Edgerrin James
- November 25 – Julian Edelman
- December 23 – Franco Harris
- December/January (exact premiere date TBD) – 1972 Miami Dolphins
ABOUT NFL MEDIA
NFL Media is comprised of NFL Network, NFL RedZone, NFL Films, NFL.com, the NFL app, NFL+ and streaming service, the NFL Channel.
Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, fans turn to NFL Network to receive information and insight straight from the field, team headquarters, league offices and everywhere the NFL is making news. Launched in 2003, NFL Network gives fans unprecedented year-round inside access to all NFL events, including the Super Bowl, Playoffs, regular season, preseason, Pro Bowl, Pro Football Hall of Fame induction weekend, NFL Draft, NFL Scouting Combine, Senior Bowl, league meetings, minicamps and training camps.
For fans on the go, all NFL Network programming can be streamed live through the NFL app and NFL Network app on smartphones, tablets, PCs and connected TV devices (Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Roku and Xbox One). Access is available for NFL Network subscribers of participating TV providers. For more information, go to NFL.com/nflnetwork.