Wed, Sep 7, 2022
Last Non-Conference Road Game Of 2022 Kicks Off At 2 P.M. ET
DAYTON — The University of Dayton football team stays on the road in Week 2 of the 2022 season, with a tough game at Youngstown State.
Last week’s 22-20 win at Robert Morris was Flyer head coach Rick Chamberlin’s 100th career win. He is the 16th active FCS coach with 100 wins.
He is just the third D-I coach (out of 429 with 100 career wins) to play for his alma mater, immediately join the coaching staff, and then become the head coach while only doing all at one school.
Redshirt freshman QB Dante Casciola debuted at RMU, and was UD’s top rusher with 96 yards on 13 carries (7.4 avg.). He was also 10 of 19 passing for 89 yards.
The Dayton D held RMU to 30 yards rushing.
GOOD NEWS WORTH REPEATING
The Flyers entered the season with the fifth-best winning percentage (.727, 168-63) in FCS football since 2000 AND have produced the most football Academic All-Americans (35) in Division I in the same time frame. The top five in winning percentage are North Dakota State (.808), Harvard (.756), Montana (.754), San Diego (.736) and Dayton (.727).
UD has not been shut out in a school-record 498 straight games, the best such active string in all of college football. The last team to shut out the Flyers was Marshall, 9-0, on Oct. 16, 1976. That is also the all-time FCS record.
• The Pioneer Football League is in its 30th season. The original (and now the only) Division I strictly need-based football league began with charter members Butler, Dayton, Drake, Evansville, San Diego and Valparaiso.
• UD’s 129-45 record is the best in PFL history.
• The Flyers’ 12 league championships are the most in PFL history. San Diego also has 12.
THE MAN AT THE TOP
• Rick Chamberlin is now in his 14th season in charge of Flyer football. His record is 100-45.
• He is the 16th active FCS coach with 100 career wins.
• Chamberlin is just the third coach (out of 429 with 100 career wins) to play for his alma mater, immediately join (and never leave) the coaching staff, and then become the head coach while only doing all at one school.
• The first two were Knute Rockne, and the man who succeeded John Heisman at Georgia Tech, William A. Alexander.
• He is third all-time in wins at UD, behind two College Football Hall of Fame members– Mike Kelly (246 wins) and Harry Baujan (124).
CAPTAINS, MY CAPTAINS
• The Flyer co-captains for the 2022 season are senior running back Jake Chisholm, graduate linebacker Ben Schmiesing and senior offensive guard Brian Stevens.
• Senior wideout Derek Willits is this year’s special teams captain.
CHISHOLM EARNS PRESEASON HONORS
• Co-captain Jake Chisholm is on the Stats Perform Walter Payton Award Watch List. The Payton award goes annually to the FCS offensive player of the year. This is the third consecutive Flyer season a Dayton player is on the watch list (Adam Trautman, Jack Cook). Chisholm is one of 10 Payton finalists from last returning to the list this season.
• Chisholm is also on the Stats Perform and HERO Sports Preseason All-America Second Teams as an all-purpose runner.
• Jake Chisholm was a Second Team Stats Perform FCS All-American last year as an all-purpose runner after finishing second in FCS football in all-purpose yardage (163.9 yards per game). He also led FCS in rushing attempts per game (23.5) and touchdowns per game (1.8).
• In 2019, he led FCS in all-purpose yardage (204.3 yards a game) after carrying the ball 153 times for 1,129 yards (and eight touchdowns) while also catching 21 passes for 230 yards (and three touchdowns), and returning 29 kickoffs for a 23.6 yard average (with one 97-yard TD vs. Duquesne).
• He enters 2022 already owning the Dayton career all-purpose yardage record with 4,629 yards. He is also ninth in career rushing with 2,287 yards. Next is Gradlin Pruitt (2,296).
• The Flyer home opener is next Saturday, Sept 17 against Kentucky State.
• Game time at Welcome Stadium is 1 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS