Score: VCU 53, Dayton 52
Location: Dayton, Ohio (UD Arena)
Records: VCU 8-4 (1-0 Atlantic 10), Dayton 8-6 (0-1)
The short story: Sophomore guard Ace Baldwin Jr. hit a go-ahead, pull-up 3-pointer with 6.6 seconds remaining to send VCU to a critical Atlantic 10 Conference road victory Wednesday night.
- Baldwin finished with 12 points and seven assists in the contest. He connected on 5-of-11 from the field, including 2-of-5 from beyond the arc
- Senior forward Vince Williams Jr. recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Black and Gold
- Junior forward Hason Ward added four points, five rebounds and a pair of blocked shots for the defensive-minded Rams
- Toumani Camara led all scorers with 16 points for Dayton
- Dayton took a 52-50 lead on a pair of R.J. Blakney free throws with less than 25 seconds left. Coming out of a timeout, Baldwin looked left to Williams, who had been knocked to the floor on the play, and pulled up for the game-winner just left of the top of the arc. Blakney had a late look on a floater in the lane on the final play of the game, but it clanged off the rim, and the Rams secured the rebound as time expired
- Baldwin initially gave VCU a 50-48 lead with 2:49 left on another pull-up 3-pointer from the top of the arc. Camara answered with 1:24 to tie the game and set the stage for a thrilling finish
- VCU forced 15 turnovers and held the Flyers to 39-percent (15-of-39) shooting in the game, including 3-of-15 from beyond the 3-point arc
- The Rams outrebounded Dayton 34-31
- VCU has won a season-high five straight games
- The game featured 10 ties and 13 lead changes
- VCU has defeated Dayton four straight times, including two straight at UD Arena
- The Rams were coming off a 21-day break due to COVID-19 protocols that cost them four games.
- VCU was without the services of senior forward Levi Stockard III, junior forward Jimmy Nichols Jr. and freshman guard Jayden Nunn
VCU will stay on the road and take on La Salle in Philadelphia, Pa. on Saturday, Jan. 8 at 2 p.m. at Tom Gola Arena. That game will be broadcast on USA Network.
COURTESY VCU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS