Home Team in Caps
Ottawa 4, BOSTON 3 (OT) – OTT leads 2-1
TORONTO 4, Washington 3 (OT) – TOR leads 2-1
NASHVILLE 3, Chicago 2 (OT) – NSH leads 3-0
Anaheim 5, CALGARY 4 (OT) – ANA leads 3-0
60 IS NOT ENOUGH
All four games contested on Monday required overtime. Elias notes that four games required overtime on the same day for the third time in Stanley Cup Playoffs history (also April 11, 1980 and April 10, 1985).
* Eleven of the first 24 games in the First Round have required overtime (45.8%), with road teams holding a 6-5 edge in those contests. Elias notes that the record for most overtime games in the opening round of the postseason is 17, set during the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs (47 games).
* Elias adds that 11 of the 24 games in the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs have seen the winning team overcome a deficit, including seven multi-goal comebacks.
DUCKS OVERCOME THREE-GOAL DEFICIT TO TAKE 3-0 SERIES LEAD
Trailing 4-1, Anaheim tallied three times before Corey Perry (1-1—2) scored at 1:30 of overtime to lift the Ducks to their sixth 3-0 series lead in franchise history and first since the 2015 First Round vs. WPG (4-0 series win).
* Elias notes that the Ducks overcame a three-goal deficit to win a playoff game for the first time in franchise history.
* Perry – who skated in his 100th playoff game – notched his second career overtime goal in the postseason (also Game 5 of 2015 SR vs. CGY) and joined Nick Bonino, Paul Kariya, Scott Niedermayer and Petr Sykora as the only players in franchise history to score two playoff overtime goals. Perry (33) also moved within two goals of tying Teemu Selanne (35) for the most in franchise playoff history.
* Nate Thompson (1-2—3) registered his first career three-point playoff game, while Shea Theodore (2-0—2) scored his first two career postseason goals. Jonathan Bernier made 16 saves in relief of John Gibson to earn his first career playoff win.
PREDATORS RALLY FOR FIRST 3-0 SERIES LEAD IN FRANCHISE HISTORY
Filip Forsberg scored twice in the third period to erase a 2-0 deficit and Kevin Fialatallied at 16:44 of overtime to power the Predators to their first 3-0 series lead in franchise history.
* Elias notes that the Predators overcame a multi-goal deficit in the third period to win a playoff game for the first time in franchise history.
* Elias adds that Fiala (20 years, 269 days) became the youngest player in franchise history to score an overtime goal in the postseason.
* Pekka Rinne (34 saves) surrendered his first goal of the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs at 1:05 of the second period to see his shutout streak end at 141:05 – a franchise playoff record.
MAPLE LEAFS TAKE SERIES LEAD WITH COMEBACK WIN IN OVERTIME . . .
Toronto overcame a 3-1 deficit in the second period and Tyler Bozak scored on a power play at 1:37 of overtime to power the Maple Leafs to a 2-1 series lead against the Capitals.
* Elias notes that Bozak became just the third Maple Leafs player in the expansion era (since 1967-68) to score a power-play goal in overtime
in the postseason, joining Mats Sundin
(Game 2 of 1996 CQF vs. STL) and Mike Gartner
(Game 5 of 1996 CQF vs. STL).
* Elias adds that the Maple Leafs overcame a multi-goal deficit to win a playoff game for the first time since Game 3 of the 2003 Conference Quarterfinals vs. PHI, a 4-3 victory in double-overtime.
* The Maple Leafs and Capitals have required overtime in all three games so far this series. The 2017 First Round marks just the second time in Maple Leafs franchise history the first three games of a playoff year have required overtime (also 1933 vs. BOS). The Capitals have only played three consecutive postseason overtime contests one other time in franchise history (Games 2-4, 1993 DSF).
. . . AS THEIR ROOKIES CONTINUE TO CONTRIBUTE
Auston Matthews (1-1—2) and William Nylander each scored their first career playoff goals, becoming the third and fourth Maple Leafs rookies to score in the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs (also Kasperi Kapanen and Mitch Marner).
* Elias notes that four different Maple Leafs rookies have scored in a playoff year for the first time since 1947 (Vic Lynn, Howie Meeker, Joe Klukay and Gus Mortson).
* Elias adds that Matthews (19 years, 212 days) became the youngest Maple Leafs player to score in the postseason since Daniel Marois (19 years, 192 days) in Game 5 of the 1988 Division Semifinals at DET.
SENATORS HANG ON, TAKE 2-1 SERIES LEAD
Ottawa surrendered a 3-0 lead in the second period, but Bobby Ryan (1-1—2) scored on a power play at 5:43 of overtime as the Senators won back-to-back postseason overtime games for the first time in franchise history.
* Elias notes that the Senators won a playoff game in which they surrendered a three-goal lead for the first time in franchise history.
* Elias adds that Ryan became the third player in franchise history to score a power-play goal in overtime in the postseason, joining Alexei Yashin (Game 3 of 1998 CQF vs. NJD) and Martin Havlat (Game 5 of 2002 CQF at PHI).
* Mike Hoffman (2-0—2) opened the scoring with a highlight-reel, one-handed goal off a rink-long saucer pass from Erik Karlsson and added a second to record his first career multi-goal playoff game.
* Karlsson (0-2—2) has collected at least one assist in all three games of the series (0-4—4).
Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane (1-0—1) became the fourth player in franchise history to score 50 career playoff goals, joining Bobby Hull (62), Denis Savard (61) and Stan Mikita (59) . . . Flames forward Sean Monahan (1-1—2) has scored in all three games of Calgary’s series (3-1—4) . . . The NHL announced start times for First Round games on Friday, April 21 . . . The Hockey Hall of Fame announced that Dave Strader will receive the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award and Cam Cole will receive the Elmer Ferguson Award during induction weekend in November . . . Former NHL player Bobby Carpenter and former NWHL player Denna Laing completed the 2017 Boston Marathon . . . Renowned Canadian artist Tony Harris released portraits of Borje Salming and Peter Forsberg as part of the NHL Centennial Celebration . . . ICYMI: Country music star Carrie Underwood (pictured with Nashville Mayor Megan Barry) surprised Predators fans at Bridgestone Arena by performing the Star Spangled Banner prior to Game 3.
SNEAK PEEK AT TUESDAY’S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Montreal @ NY Rangers, MTL leads 2-1
, 7 p.m., CBC, TVAS, NBCSN, MSG
Pittsburgh @ Columbus, PIT leads 3-0
, 7:30 p.m., SN360, TVAS2, CNBC, FS-O, ROOT
Edmonton @ San Jose, EDM leads 2-1
, 10 p.m., SN, TVAS, NBCSN, NBCSCA
NBC Sports Channel Finder
Sportsnet Channel Finder
NHL Network Channel Finder
PENGUINS LOOK TO BECOME FIRST TEAM TO ADVANCE TO SECOND ROUND
The defending Stanley Cup champion Penguins look to become the first team to advance to the Second Round of the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs when they visit the Blue Jackets in Game 4 of their First Round Series (PIT leads 3-0). Pittsburgh is aiming for their seventh four-game sweep in franchise history and first since 2009 (vs. CAR in CF).