scored a highlight-reel goal
in the shootout and Zemgus Girgensons
tallied the decisive marker to power the Sabres to victory . . . Penguins forward Carter Rowney
(1-1—2) scored the first goal of his NHL career (15 GP) . . . Rangers forward Chris Kreider
(0-1—1) extended his point streak to five games (2-4—6) . . . Ducks forward Rickard Rakell
scored for the fourth straight game (4-1—5) . . . The NHL Centennial Fan Arena is visiting Ottawa
. . . The donation of the Stanley Cup was designated as a National Historic Event
by the government of Canada.
SNEAK PEEK AT SATURDAY’S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Colorado @ Detroit, 1 p.m., FS-D, ALT
Columbus @ NY Islanders, 1 p.m., NHLN-US, MSG+, FS-O
NY Rangers @ Minnesota, 7 p.m., NHLN-US, FS-N, FS-WI, MSG
Chicago @ Toronto, 7 p.m., CBC, CITY, CSN-CH
Montreal @ Ottawa, 7 p.m., SN, TVAS
Washington @ Tampa Bay, 7 p.m., SUN, CSN-DC
Nashville @ Carolina, 7 p.m., FS-CR, FS-TN
St. Louis @ Arizona, 9 p.m., FS-A, FS-MW
Vancouver @ Edmonton, 10 p.m., CBC, SN
Anaheim @ San Jose, 10:30 p.m., CSN-CA, PRIME
NBC Sports Channel Finder
Sportsnet Channel Finder
NHL Network Channel Finder
THREE GAMES FEATURED ON HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA
Three of today’s 10 games are featured on Hockey Night in Canada:
* The Western Conference-leading Blackhawks (45-20-5, 95 points) take on the Maple Leafs (32-23-14, 78 points) – who will honor one of the earliest eras in the franchise’s history by wearing Toronto St. Pats uniforms – in an Original Six matchup at Air Canada Centre. Chicago has won four consecutive games versus Toronto dating to Dec. 21, 2014 (TOR: 0-3-1).
* The Canadiens (39-23-8, 86 points) and Senators (39-23-7, 85 points), who will play in the 2017 Scotiabank NHL100 Classic, square off in a home-and-home set between the top two teams in the Atlantic Division. Ottawa holds a 2-0-0 edge over Montreal in their five-game season series (MTL: 0-1-1).
* The Oilers (37-24-9, 83 points) host the Canucks (28-33-9, 65 points) at Rogers Place. Edmonton has scored seven goals in each of their last two games, earning a 7-1 win on Tuesday and a 7-4 win on Thursday. Elias notes the Oilers last scored seven or more goals in consecutive games Dec. 4-7, 1988.
METROPOLITAN PLAYOFF RACE HIGHLIGHTS NHL NETWORK DOUBLEHEADER
Three clubs in the Metropolitan Division are featured on an NHL Network doubleheader Saturday:
* In the afternoon, the Blue Jackets (45-18-6, 96 points) visit the Islanders (33-26-11, 77 points) at Barclays Center. Columbus aims to gain ground in the Metropolitan Division where they trail the League-leading Capitals (45-17-8, 98 points) by two points and the second place Penguins (44-17-9, 97 points) by one. Meanwhile, the Islanders look to reclaim the final Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
* In the evening, the Wild (43-20-6, 92 points) host the Rangers (44-24-3, 91 points) at Xcel Energy Center. Minnesota looks to inch closer to the Western Conference-leading Blackhawks (45-20-5, 95 points), while New York aims to strengthen their hold on the first Wild Card position in the Eastern Conference.