KINGSTON, R.I. – A nine-minute field goal drought in the first half spelled doom for the University of Dayton men’s basketball team Wednesday, as the Flyers fell at Rhode Island 75-70,
DaRon Holmes II led Dayton with 19 points. Kobe Elvis scored 14 points and Koby Brea added 11.
Dayton is now 13-8 overall, and 5-3 in the Atlantic 10.
First Half — Rhode Island 32, Dayton 27
- UD used an 11-0 spurt to take a 14-4 lead five minutes and 20 seconds into the game.
- Zimi Nwokeji came up with a steal that led to a run out by Malachi Smith to give the Flyers their largest lead (22-11) with 9:57 left in the half.
- But Dayton would not make another field goal for just over eight minutes, and were outscored 17-1 to flip the game.
- URI outscored UD 12-2 from the line in the half.
Second Half – Rhode Island 75, Dayton 70
- The Flyers scored first to cut the lead to three, but then Rhode Island used an 11-1 spurt to take its biggest lead of the game, 43-30, with 15:28 to go.
- UD scored the next eight points to get within striking distance but did not make it a one possession game until a pair of Koby Brea free throws with 50 seconds left.
- Four Ram free throws kept the Flyers at arm’s length.
BY THE NUMBERS
- DaRon Holmes II led UD with 19 points (8-11 FG).
- Koby Brea scored all 14 of his points in the second half, making four-of five three-pointers.
- Koby Brea scored 11 points in his first start of the season.
- Toumani Camara led UD in rebounding with six, and was a team-best +3.
- Malachi Smith had five assists to lead the Flyers.
- Dayton plays Richmond at home on Saturday.
- Game time is 4 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS