DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team is back home on Saturday, playing host to Richmond. Game time is 4 p.m. ET.
Dayton is now 13-8 overall and 5-3 in the Atlantic 10. UD is looking to reverse a two-game losing streak, with road losses at GW and Rhode Island. In Wednesday’s 75-70 defeat at Rhody, DaRon Holmes II led the Flyers with 19 points. Koby Elvis came off the bench to score 14 second half points, and Koby Brea had 11 in his first start of the season.
Saturday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio and televised on the CBS Sports Network. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. His 8.9 rebounds a game are second in the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in eight games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU.
• Speaking of college career highs, Camara had 27 points at home against VCU on Jan. 13.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (27) and is second in blocked shots (24). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
• Holmes is on a pair of prestigious watch lists — the mid-season USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Year and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (18.4), and is second in rebounding (8.0). He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top three in both. In A-10 play, he is averaging 19.5 ppg, while only taking 11.6 shots per game. He is shooting .634 (59-93) FG and .735 (36-49) in conference play.
• Holmes is tied for first in the nation in dunks (55) with Purdue’s Zach Edey. Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 12.8 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.5 ppg. in the losses (10.0 for the season).
• Mike Sharavjamts has 56 assists in 14 starts at point. He has 19 (w/6 TO) in his last 5 games.
• Koby Brea has 83 points in the last 10 games as he returns to form after injuries and illness. He scored 12 points (4-4 3-pt.) in front of a personal fan club of 300 at Fordham.
• Malachi Smith (ankle) returned after missing 11 games in the Davidson win. He scored 12 points (10 in the second half) in 21 minutes of action at George Washington.
• Kobe Elvis (knee) returned for GW after missing the previous 12 games. He played 13 minutes at GW, and scored 14 points in 22 minutes at URI. In those two second halves, he has scored 22 points in 24 minutes of action.
•Smith, Elvis and Brea (UD’s top three returning guards) missed a total of 33 games between them in earlier 2022-23 due to injuries.
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 60.3 points per game (despite allowing 75+ in the last two games). VCU is second at 63.5. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 12 times.
• The Flyers remain home to meet Loyola for the first time in 30 years on Tuesday, Jan. 31.
• Tuesday’s game time is 9 p.m. ET
• UD is on the road at St. Bonaventure (2/4) and VCU (2/7) before hosting Saint Louis (2/10).
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS