Flyers Cut 14-Point Halftime Lead To Six With The Ball, But Can Get No Closer
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team lost Saturday at George Washington 76-69.
Three Flyers scored in double figures for UD – Toumani Camara had 16, DaRon Holmes II had 14 with 10 rebounds and Malachi Smith had 12 off the bench.
Dayton is now 13-7 in on the year, and 5-2 in the Atlantic 10. GW is 10-9 and- 4-2 in the A-10.
First Half – George Washington 36, Dayton 22
- Freshmen scored the first seven points of the game.
- GW’s Maximus Edwards scored first on a blow-by dunk, Mike Sharavjamts answered wit a medium-range jumper, and then Edwards hit a three to give George Washington the lead for good.
- A pair of free throws by DaRon Holmes II made it a two-point game (14-12) with 11:29 to go in the half, but the Colonials went on a 10-0 run over the next four-and-a-half minutes.
- UD scored five unanswered points, and then GW out-scored the Flyers 12-5 in the final 4:33 of the half.
- Dayton shot just 27% (8-30) In the half.
Second half – George Washington 76, Dayton 69
- UD scored the first two buckets of the second half on a three by Sharavjamts and a layup by Toumani Camara to begin the comeback attempt.
- The Flyers worked the margin back to six (43-37 with 12:44 left, and was able to take a three-point attempt that would have cut that deficit in half.
- But it was short and GW scored the next six points to make it at least a three possession game the rest of the way.
- The Colonials scored half of their 40 second-half points at the line.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Toumani Camara led UD with 16 points, followed by DaRon Holmes II with 14 and Malachi Smith with 12.
- Each of them scored 10 points in the second half.
- GW’s James Bishop led all scorers with 27 points.
- Holmes’ 10 rebounds gave him his eighth double of the year.
- Smith led UD in assists with three.
- Kobe Elvis had two steals, and also scored eight second-half points in his first game back after missing 12 games.
- Koby Brea had a career-best two blocks.
- The Flyers are at Rhode Island on Wednesday, Jan. 25. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
- UD’s next home game is at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 28 against Richmond.
COURTESY DAYTON FLYERS MEDIA RELATIONS