DETROIT (1/14/2023) — Graduate senior Antoine Davis hit not one, not two, not three, but a school-record 11 triples to become the NCAA all-time three-point record holder as the University of Detroit Mercy men’s basketball team turned away Robert Morris, 87-75, on Saturday afternoon on Dick Vitale Court in Calihan Hall.
The nation’s leading scorer at 25.4 points heading into the game, Davis scored a season-high 41 points – his fifth career 40-point game and tied for 13th in school history – as he was 15-of-26 from the field and 11-of-18 from behind the arc. He now has 513 career triples, breaking Wofford’s Fletcher Magee (2015-19) mark of 509, and his 3,232 points are third in NCAA history, 17 away from second, and 435 behind Pete Maravich’s record 3,667. His 1,081 field goals are also 15th now in NCAA record book.
The 11, 3-pointers was one away from the Horizon League mark and tied for the most in the country this season with Eastern Kentucky’s Michael Moreno (12/10/22 vs. Boyce), while the 41 points are the third most by a Horizon League player this season and the ninth most in the nation.
Detroit Mercy (7-12, 3-5 HL) also tied a season-high with 17, 3-pointers, one away from the school record, and shot 52.7% in the game.
Senior Gerald Liddell had 15 points, while graduate senior A.J. Oliver netted a season-high 14 points with five boards. Junior Kyle LeGreair had four points, a career-high seven rebounds, five assists and two steals.
- Despite being just 208 miles apart, this was just the sixth all-time meeting between the two schools and the Titans have won all six, with four of those at home
- Titan television announcer Earl Cureton ’11 has the honor of being in both the Titan and Robert Morris Athletic Hall Of Fames as he played two seasons at Robert Morris, the second of which (1976-77) was the first as an NCAA Division I institution before transferring and helping the Titans to a 36-19 in his two years, advancing to the NCAA Tournament in 1979
- Detroit Mercy also had 17, 3-pointers at Charlotte and the school record is 18, both against Milwaukee at home in 2000 and in 2022
- The Titans came into the contest second in the Horizon League and 43rd in the nation at 37.1% from three, as well as second in the HL and eighth in the country with 9.9 per game
- Davis came into the game averaging 31.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 6.5 assists in four career games, shooting 45.5% (40-of-88), 41.1% from three (23-of-56) and a perfect 24-of-24 at the free-throw line with a Horizon league tournament record 46 points hitting 10 triples in 2021
- Davis now has 93 career 20-point games, 31 career 30-point outings and five 40-point contests in 130 games, school records in all three categories
- Davis extended his NCAA consecutive games in double figures to 130-straight, while the NCAA record for the most games in double figures is 135 by Doug McDermott (Creighton, 2011-14)
- Davis passed Lionel Simmons (La Salle, 1986-90 – 3,217) and Chris Clemons (Campbell, 2015-19 – 3,225) to move into third place in NCAA in scoring and is 17 in back of Freeman Williams (Portland State, 1974-78 – 3,249) for second
- Davis came into the game fifth all-time in NCAA history with 3.90, three-point field goals per game and has now made a three in 125 of his 130 collegiate games, with 71 career games with four or more triples, 26 with six or more, 12 games with seven or more and now five games with 10 or more
- Davis had 10 triples earlier this season at Charlotte
- Davis’ 15 field goals are the most since he had 15 against Green Bay in last year’s Horizon League Championship first round, while his career-best is 16 against Robert Morris in 2021
- Davis now has 532 career assists for fifth in school history and is still just the second player in NCAA history to amass 3,000 points and 500 assists, joining St. Peter’s Keydren Clark (2002-06), who recorded 3,058 points with 501 career helpers
- The NCAA record for most 3-pointers in a game is 15, while the Horizon League mark is 12 by Butler’s Darrin Fitzgerald against the Titans on Feb. 9, 1987
- Liddell tied his career-high with the nine free throws he had at Tulsa
- LeGreair is tallying 4.8 points, 3.8 assists and 3.2 rebounds, hitting 8-of-11 from the field with a pair of 3-pointers, in his last five games after posting just 0.6 points, 1.4 rebounds and 1.2 assists in his first 14 games
- LeGreair had just had a career-high in boards with the six against Youngstown on Thursday
- Moss now has seven games on the year with five or more rebounds
- Oliver’s season-high was 12 at Eastern Michigan and his career-high is 21 as a member of ODU against Florida Atlantic in 2020, where he also made a career-best five 3-pointers
COURTESY DETROIT MERCY ATHLETICS