JAN. 16, 2023 II NATIONWIDE ARENA II vs. NEW YORK RANGERS
TV: Bally Sports Ohio Jeff Rimer (play-by-play), Jody Shelley (analyst), Dave Maetzold (reporter)
Radio: 97.1 The Fan Bob McElligott (play-by-play), Dylan Tyrer (host)
« D Adam Fox, who captured the Norris Trophy award (best defenseman) in 2020-21, ranks third-T among NHL blueliners in assists and fourth in points with 9-35-44 in 43 contests this season and has points in each of his last six contests (2-7-9).
« Former Blue Jacket LW Artemi Panarin ranks seventh-T in the League in assists and leads the Rangers in assists (tied) and points with 11-35-46 in 43 contests.
« G Igor Shesterkin, who captured the Vezina Trophy as the NHL’s best goaltender in 2021-22, is 20-6-6 with a 2.44 GAA, .917 SV% and one shutout in 32 appearances in 2022-23.
« Columbus has gone 21-18-5 in 44 all-time meetings vs. New York, including 11-12-1 at home.
« The Blue Jackets have won the last two games of the series and have picked up points in five of the last eight contests played at Nationwide Arena (4-3-1).
« The winning team has scored four or more goals in four consecutive meetings after scoring three or less in four-straight.
« Columbus has recorded power play goals in two of the last three meetings (2-of-6; 33.3 pct.).
« CBJ have recorded three of the four shutouts in the all-time series but the Rangers recorded the most recent one by Igor Shesterkin on Oct. 29, 2021 (4-0 W at NYR).
« New York owns two of the three hat tricks and penalty shots in the all-time series.
« Oct. 23, 2022 – CBJ 5, at NYR 1
« Jan. 16, 2023 – at COLUMBUS (7 p.m. ET)
« Mar. 28, 2023 – at NY Rangers (7 p.m. ET)
« Apr. 8, 2023 – at COLUMBUS (7 p.m. ET)
Scoring Notables vs. Rangers
« LW Johnny Gaudreau – 8-7-15 in 14 career GP, including points in five of his last six games – with three multi-point efforts (6-3-9) and goals in three-straight home contests (4-2-6).
« C Boone Jenner – 4-7-11 in 27 career GP, including 2-1-3 in his most recent home meeting on Jan. 27, 2022.
« LW Patrik Laine – 4-3-7 in 10 career GP, including 0-2-2 in the most recent contest played at Nationwide Arena on Jan. 27, 2022.
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- Columbus snapped a three-game losing streak with a 4-3 victory at Detroit on Saturday.
- CBJ are in a stretch of four-of-six games played at home from January 12-21 with the lone road contests, Saturday at Detroit and Tuesday at Nashville. The club is 4-3-0 in its last seven outings played at Nationwide Arena.
- The Blue Jackets close out a stretch of eight-straight games against Eastern Conference teams to start 2023. The stretch from January 3-16 includes five contests vs. Metropolitan Division opponents.
- Columbus’ blueliners recorded 1-2-3 against the Red Wings and have registered 6-12-18 in the last 13 contests. The club’s defensemen have combined for 19-46-65 in 42 games during the 2022-23 season.
- The Blue Jackets boast a League-high 24 different players to score a goal this season.
- CBJ rookies picked up two assists at Detroit and have combined for 10-8-18 over the last 11 games. They lead all NHL teams in goals and rank third in points with 23-26-49 in 42 contests in 2022-23.
- The Jackets play their third of four Monday games this season (0-1-1).
- CBJ are 7-1-1 on games played on Martin Luther Jr. Day in franchise history and have won their last three appearances with points in the past seven (6-0-1). The team is 5-1-1 at Nationwide Arena on the day.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- RW Emil Bemstrom has collected 0-4-4 in the last six games with points in five of his nine contests since being recalled by CBJ on December 28 (2-4-6). He has registered 3-5-8 in his last 12 games with the Blue Jackets dating back to November 19. The winger has also registered points in 15 of his 19 games played split between CBJ and the AHL’s Cleveland Monsters with 9-14-23 recorded since Nov. 25.
- D Adam Boqvist has registered assists in each of his last four contests (0-4-4) and five of his past six dating back to Dec. 31 (0-5-5).
- LW Johnny Gaudreau has recorded points in each of his last two games (1-2-3) after picking up his team-leading eighth multi-assist and 11th multi-point outing with two assists at Detroit on Saturday. He leads the team in goals (tied), assists and points with 12-29-41 in 42 contests and was named to his first NHL All-Star Game as a Blue Jacket and seventh in his career. He finished the 2022 calendar year with 38-81-119 in 88 games split between Calgary and Columbus to end the year second-T in the League in assists and third in points. His 81 assists were the second most by a U.S-born player in a single season in NHL history, trailing only Craig Janney’s 82 in 1992.
- C Kent Johnson ranks sixth among NHL rookies in goals and points (tied) and 10th in points-per-game (min. 15 GP) with 8-11-19 in 39 contests (.49 Pt/GP).
- G Joonas Korpisalo has stopped 194-of-210 shots over his last seven games played to rank ninth-T in the NHL in save percentage (.924) since December 9 (min. 6 GP).
- LW Patrik Laine notched his 10th career hat trick – and second with the Blue Jackets – with three goals on Saturday at Detroit. He has recorded points in three-straight games (3-3-6) to up his season totals to 12-10-22 in 27 contests.
- RW Kirill Marchenko has recorded seven goals in his last 11 appearances, including becoming the sixth rookie in CBJ history to record a hat trick with three goals against Carolina last Saturday. He ranks fourth-T among NHL rookie goal scorers in 2022-23 (9-0-9 in 19 GP) and leads League rookies in goals and ranks fourth in points since December 11 with 9-0-9 in 16 contests.
- C Jack Roslovic registered his fourth multi-assist and fifth multi-point effort with two assists at Detroit. He has picked up 2-14-16 in 21 outings since December 1 after totaling 1-5-6 in his first 25 games of the campaign.
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- D Gavin Bayreuther is 10 games from 100 for his NHL career (5-14-19, 90 GP).
- RW Yegor Chinakhov is seven games from 100 for his NHL career (11-16-27, 91 GP).
- LW/RW Patrik Laine is one point from 100 for his CBJ career (48-51-99, 128 GP).
- LW Gustav Nyquist is six games from 700 for his NHL career (172-247-419, 694 GP).
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- D Jake Bean (shoulder) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 17); out 4-to-6 months (27 games)
- RW Yegor Chinakhov (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 20); out indefinitely (11 games)
- C/RW Justin Danforth (torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Oct. 25); 6 months (36 games)
- RW Carson Meyer (oblique strain) is on Injured Reserve (Jan. 10); 6-to-8 weeks (2 games)
- LW Jakub Voracek (upper body) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 4); out indefinitely (31 games)
- D Zach Werenski (shoulder separation/torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); out 6 months (29 games)
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 285
COURTESY BLUE JACKETS COMMUNICATIONS