JAN. 14, 2023 II LITTLE CAESARS ARENA II vs. DETROIT RED WINGS
TV: Bally Sports Ohio Jeff Rimer (play-by-play), Jody Shelley (analyst), Dave Maetzold (reporter)
Radio: 97.1 The Fan Bob McElligott (play-by-play), Dylan Tyrer (host)
« LW Dominik Kubalik, who has recorded two goals in the first two games of the series, is second on the Red Wings in goals and points with 13-17-30 in 40 appearances in his first season with the club.
« Red Wings captain C Dylan Larkin, who was named to the NHL All-Star Game for the second year in a row, leads the team in goals, assists and points with 14-23-37 in 39 contests this year.
« D Filip Hronek tallied 2-2-4 in the first two games of the season series and leads Red Wings blueliners in scoring with 7-22-29 in 40 outings.
« Columbus is 45-49-14 in 108 all-time meetings vs. Detroit, including 19-27-6 on the road.
« The Blue Jackets are 26-10-3 vs. the Red Wings since the start of the 2012-13 season.
« Columbus has won nine of 10 season series since 2012-13, including each of past 6 campaigns (17-6-1).
« CBJ have gone 12-4-2 in road games against Detroit dating back to the 2012-13 campaign.
« The Blue Jackets have recorded eight of the 21 shutouts in the all-time series with both teams recording a shutout against each other on Apr. 27, 2021 during the 2020-21 season. Elvis Merzlikins turned away 41 shots and Detroit’s Thomas Greiss stopped 33 shots in a 1-0 CBJ shootout win.
« The Jackets killed off all nine of the Wings power play attempts in the last four contests at Detroit.
« Columbus has recorded four of the seven hat tricks in the all-time series with Jack Roslovic recording one in the most recent meeting in a 5-4 OT win at Detroit on Apr. 9, 2022.
« Nov. 19, 2022 – DET 6, at CBJ 1
« Dec. 4, 2022 – DET 4, at CBJ 2
« Jan. 14, 2023 – at Detroit (7 p.m. ET)
Player Notables vs. Detroit
« LW Johnny Gaudreau– 5-15-20 in 15 career GP, including points in nine of his last ten games played (5-11-16) with an assist in each of the first two contests of the season series.
« RW Patrik Laine – 6-8-14 in 17 career GP, including 0-5-5 in his last five games against Detroit.
« LW Gustav Nyquist – 1-7-8 in 9 career GP, including multiple assists in two of the last four games (0-4-4) and multi-point efforts in three of his last seven (1-6-7) against his former team.
« C Jack Roslovic – 6-3-9 in 15 career GP, including five points in his last two games (3-2-5) with his second career hat trick and the game-winning goal, in the club’s last visit to Little Caesars Arena on Apr. 9, 2022.
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- Columbus fell for a third-straight game, dropping a 6-2 final to Carolina on Thursday.
- CBJ are in a stretch of four-of-six games played at home from January 12-21 with the lone road contests, Saturday at Detroit and Tuesday at Nashville.
- The Blue Jackets begin 2023 with eight-straight games against Eastern Conference teams. The stretch from January 3-16 includes five contests vs. Metropolitan Division opponents.
- Columbus’ blueliners recorded 0-2-2 against Carolina on Thursday and have registered 5-10-15 in the last 11 contests. The club’s defensemen have combined for 18-44-62 in 41 games during the 2022-23 season.
- The Blue Jackets boast a League-high 24 different players to score a goal this season after D Tim Berni’s goal against the Lightning on Tuesday.
- CBJ rookies registered two goals at Tampa Bay (Berni, Marchenko) and have combined for 10-6-16 over the last 10 games. They lead all NHL teams in goals and rank third in points with 23-24-47 in 41 games in 2022-23.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- D Gavin Bayreuther has recorded points in two-straight contests (1-1-2) and has picked up 2-2-4 in his last seven games played.
- RW Emil Bemstrom has collected 0-3-3 in the last five games with points in four of his eight contests since being recalled by CBJ on December 28 (2-3-5). He has registered 3-4-7 in his last 11 games with the Blue Jackets dating back to November 19. The winger has also registered points in 14 of his 18 games played split between CBJ and the AHL’s Cleveland Monsters with 9-13-22 recorded since Nov. 25.
- D Adam Boqvist has registered assists in each of his last three contests and four of his past five dating back to Dec. 31.
- LW Johnny Gaudreau, who notched his team-leading 12th goal of the campaign against the Hurricanes (12-27-39 in 41 GP), was named to his seventh NHL All-Star Game – and first with the Blue Jackets – last Thursday. He finished the 2022 calendar year with 38-81-119 in 88 games split between Calgary and Columbus to end the year second-T in the League in assists and third in points. His 81 assists were the second most by a U.S-born player in a single season in NHL history, trailing only Craig Janney’s 82 in 1992.
- C Kent Johnson ranks sixth among NHL rookies in goals and points and 11th in points-per-game (min. 15 GP) with 8-10-18 in 38 contests (.47 Pt/GP).
- G Joonas Korpisalo has stopped 194-of-210 shots over his last seven games played to rank 10th-T in the NHL in save percentage (.924) since December 9 (min. 6 GP).
- RW Kirill Marchenko has recorded seven goals in his last ten appearances, including becoming the sixth rookie in CBJ history to record a hat trick with three goals against Carolina last Saturday. He ranks fourth-T among NHL rookie goal scorers in 2022-23 (9-0-9 in 18 GP) and leads League rookies in goals and ranks fourth in points since December 11 with 9-0-9 in 15 contests.
- C Jack Roslovic has picked up 2-12-14 in 20 outings since December 1 after totaling 1-5-6 in his first 25 games of the campaign.
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- D Gavin Bayreuther is 10 games from 100 for his NHL career (5-14-19, 90 GP).
- RW Yegor Chinakhov is seven games from 100 for his NHL career (11-16-27, 91 GP).
- LW/RW Patrik Laine is four points from 100 for his CBJ career (45-51-96, 127 GP).
- LW Gustav Nyquist is seven games from 700 for his NHL career (172-247-419, 693 GP).
- C Jack Roslovic is one point from 100 for his CBJ career (37-62-99, 167 GP).
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- D Jake Bean (shoulder) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 17); out 4-to-6 months (26 games)
- RW Yegor Chinakhov (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 20); out indefinitely (10 games)
- C/RW Justin Danforth (torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Oct. 25); 6 months (35 games)
- C Boone Jenner (fractured thumb) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 19); 4-weeks (10 games)
- G Elvis Merzlikins (illness); day-to-day (1 game)
- RW Carson Meyer (oblique strain) is on Injured Reserve (Jan. 10); 6-to-8 weeks (1 game)
- LW Eric Robinson (upper body) is on Injured Reserve (Jan. 3); day-to-day (5 games)
- G Daniil Tarasov (upper body) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 30); day-to-day (7 games)
- LW Jakub Voracek (upper body) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 4); out indefinitely (30 games)
- D Zach Werenski (shoulder separation/torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); out 6 months (28 games)
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 279
COURTESY BLUE JACKETS COMMUNICATIONS