DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team will face Fordham when the Flyers visit Rose Hill Gymnasium on Tuesday. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
Dayton is now 11-5 and in first place in the Atlantic 10 with a 3-0 record after a 76-56 win over Saint Joseph’s on Wednesday. DaRon Holmes II had his third straight double-double — 20 points and 12 rebounds. R.J. Blakney had 19 points. Toumani Camara added 14 points and six assists, while Mustapha Amzil scored 11. UD is the only undefeated team in A-10 play.
The Flyers are the preseason favorite in the Atlantic 10. Dayton returned all five starters from a team that finished 24-11, and tied for second in the A-10 with a 14-4 record.
Tuesday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio, televised on SNY and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. His 9.3 rebounds a game lead the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in seven games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (20) and is second in blocked shots (16). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• Anthony Grant is the 13th active African-American D-I coach to reach 300 wins. The others include Tommy Amaker, Ed Cooley, Leonard Hamilton, Ron Hunter, and Kelvin Sampson.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
•.Holmes has been named to a pair of prestigious watch lists — the preseason John Wooden Player of the Year, and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (19.0), is second in rebounding (8.4). He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top three in both. During UD’s six-game win streak, he is averaging 24.7 ppg.
• He leads the nations in dunks (45). Clifford Omoruyi of Rutgers is second (38). Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 12.7 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.8 ppg. in the losses (10.6 for the season).
• Mike Sharavjamts has 37 assists in his nine starts at point.
• Koby Brea has 42 points in the last six games as he returns to form after injuries and illness.
• Malachi Smith (ankle) and Kobe Elvis (knee) are currently out with injuries suffered in the second half of the BYU game in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
•Smith, Elvis and Brea (UD’s top three returning guards) have missed a total of 22 games between them so far in 2022-23.
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 58.4 points per game. VCU is second at 64.5. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 11 times (last six), and 50 or less five times.
•UD’s four A-10 regular season losses last year included three by a total of four points.
• Dayton hosts VCU on Friday at 9 p.m. ET.
• The Flyers will remain home on Jan. 17 to play Davidson at 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON FLYERS MEDIA RELATIONS