MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich.— In the 14th game of the season and conference opener, Miami (6-8) fell to Central Michigan (6-8) 68-56 at McGuirk Arena. Morgan Safford led the RedHawks with 20 points. Anderson Mirambeaux scored 18 points and added 11 rebounds. Jesse Zarzuela led the Chippewas with 19 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Central Michigan took an early lead at 5-2. The RedHawks responded with a layup from Billy Smith and a three-pointer from Safford to claim the lead for the first time with 16:54 left in the first half. The RedHawks led by six at 13-7 before Central Michigan came back and tied the game at 18-18. Miami proceeded to go on a 9-0 run to take a 27-18 lead. Central Michigan stayed within three points, trailing 29-26 going into the intermission.
- Miami scored the first five points of the second half after Mirambeaux made a layup and Mekhi Lairy knocked down a shot from beyond the arc to extend their lead to 34-26. Once again, the Chippewas found a way to keep it close after retying the game at 35 apiece. Safford went on to score the next six points for the Red and White to retain the lead at 41-37.
- Miami held onto the lead as the end of the game approached, but Central Michigan continued to apply pressure as they tied the game at 47-47 and 50-50. Despite Miami’s effort, the Chippewas reclaimed the lead for the first time since the beginning of game at 53-52 with 2:34 to play. Central Michigan went on to close out the game with a 68-56 win.
- Mirambeaux recorded a double-double with 18 points and a season-high 11 rebounds.
- Safford had a game-high 20 points.
Miami continues conference play against Kent State Saturday, Jan. 7. Tip time is set for 3:30 p.m. in Oxford, Ohio.
COURTESY MIAMI ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS