JAN. 7, 2023 II NATIONWIDE ARENA II vs. CAROLINA HURRICANES
TV: Bally Sports Ohio Jeff Rimer (play-by-play), Jody Shelley (analyst), Dave Maetzold (reporter)
Radio: 97.1 The Fan Bob McElligott (play-by-play), Dylan Tyrer (host)
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- Columbus kicked off the 2023 portion of the schedule with a 4-0 loss at Ottawa on Tuesday and a 6-2 loss against Washington on Thursday.
- The Blue Jackets begin 2023 with eight-straight games against Eastern Conference teams. The stretch from January 3-16 includes five contests vs. Metropolitan Division opponents, including three-straight from January 5-8.
- The club is 14-of-67 on the power play in 26 contests since November 5 (20.9 pct.) after scoring on just one of their first 32 power play chances through the first 11 games (3.1 pct.).
- Columbus’ blueliners have recorded 4-7-11 in the last seven contests and 17-41-58 in 38 games during the 2022-23 season.
- CBJ have had a league-high 23 different players score a goal this season.
- Blue Jackets rookies have registered 5-3-8 over the last six games. They lead all NHL teams in goals and rank fourth in points with 18-21-39 in 37 games in 2022-23.
- The club plays its seventh of 16 back-to-back sets of the season on Saturday vs. Carolina and Sunday at Washington.
- The Jackets play their second game of five-straight Saturdays from Dec. 31-Jan. 28.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- D Gavin Bayreuther recorded his first goal of the campaign on Thursday and has picked up points in two of his last three games (1-1-2).
- RW Emil Bemstrom collected his first career multi-assist game with two assists on Thursday and has registered points in three of his four games since being recalled by CBJ on December 28 (2-2-4). He has collected 3-3-6 in his last seven games with the Blue Jackets dating back to November 19. The winger has registered points in 13 of his 14 games played split between CBJ and the AHL’s Cleveland Monsters with 9-12-21 recorded since Nov. 25.
- LW Johnny Gaudreau recorded a goal and was named to his seventh NHL All-Star Game on Thursday. He has collected 4-16-20 with points in 12 of his last 18 contests. He has recorded points in 16 of his 22 home games with eight multi-point efforts this season (9-18-27). The winger tied the franchise record for most assists in the month of December (Panarin, 13 in Dec. 2017) with 2-13-15 in 14 games. He finished the 2022 calendar year with 38-81-119 in 88 games split between Calgary and Columbus to end the year second-T in the League in assists and third in points. His 81 assists were the second most by a U.S-born player in a single season in NHL history, trailing only Craig Janney’s 82 in 1992.
- C Kent Johnson ranks fourth among NHL rookies in goals and 10th-T in points-per-game (min. 15 GP) with 8-8-16 in 34 contests (.47 Pt/GP).
- G Joonas Korpisalo has stopped 120-of-127 shots over his last five games played to rank fourth in the NHL in save percentage (.945) and goals-against average (1.80) since December 9 (min. 2 GP).
- LW/RW Patrik Laine recorded 7-5-12 in 12 outings in December.
- RW Kirill Marchenko has scored goals in three of his last six contests. He leads NHL rookies in goals and ranks seventh-T in points since December 11 with 5-0-5 in 11 contests.
- W Gustav Nyquist has recorded 4-3-7 with three multi-point efforts in his last eight home contests.
- C Jack Roslovic has collected assists in four of the past seven contests (0-5-5) and has picked up 2-12-14 in 16 outings since December 1 after totaling 1-5-6 in his first 25 games of the campaign. The forward had his six-game home assists streak, dating back to Dec. 4 (2-7-9), snapped in Thursday’s loss to the Capitals.
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- RW Yegor Chinakhov is seven games from 100 for his NHL career (11-16-27, 91 GP).
- G Joonas Korpisalo is two games from 200 for his NHL career (81-74-22, 198 GP).
- LW/RW Patrik Laine is seven points from 100 for his CBJ career (45-48-93, 122 GP).
- C Jack Roslovic is two points from 100 for his CBJ career (37-61-98, 162 GP).
- Head Athletic Trainer Mike Vogt is one game from 1,500 for his NHL career.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- D Jake Bean (shoulder) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 17); out 4-to-6 months (22 games)
- D Nick Blankenburg (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); 6-to-8 weeks (24 games)
- RW Yegor Chinakhov (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 20); out indefinitely (6 games)
- C/RW Justin Danforth (torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Oct. 25); 6 months (31 games)
- C Boone Jenner (fractured thumb) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 19); 4-weeks (6 games)
- LW Eric Robinson (upper body) is day-to-day (1 game)
- G Daniil Tarasov (upper body) is day-to-day (3 games)
- LW Jakub Voracek (upper body) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 4); out indefinitely (26 games)
- D Zach Werenski (shoulder separation/torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); out 6 months (24 games)
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 241
COURTESY BLUE JACKETS COMMUNICATIONS