DEC. 31, 2022 II NATIONWIDE ARENA II vs. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS
TV: Bally Sports Ohio Jeff Rimer (play-by-play), Jody Shelley (analyst), Dave Maetzold (reporter)
Radio: 105.7 FM Bob McElligott (play-by-play), Dylan Tyrer (host)
« C Max Domi, who recorded 18-38-56 in 107 career contests with Columbus from 2020-22, is tied for the Blackhawks lead in goals and ranks second in assists and points with 11-13-24 in 34 contests in 2022-23
« D Seth Jones, who ranks first on the Blue Jackets’ all-time list for defensemen in assists and ranks second in goals and points with 50-173-223 in 381 games from 2015-21, has 1-9-10 in 24 appearances this season
« RW Patrick Kane leads the team in assists and points with 6-20-26 in 34 games in 2022-23 and has racked up 24-52-76 in 57 career contests against the Blue Jackets
« Columbus is 37-46-15 in 98 all-time meetings vs. Chicago, including 19-21-9 at home.
« The Blackhawks’ victory on Dec. 23 snapped a six-game win streak for the visiting team. The road team has now collected points in 13 of the last 15 meetings (11-2-2) since Oct. 20, 2018.
« The winning team has scored four or more goals in five-straight wins and seven of the last nine.
« Chicago owns eight of the 10 shutouts in the all-time series (MR: Malcolm Subban, 26 saves in 2-0 W at CBJ on Feb. 25, 2021) while Columbus has recorded two of the three hat tricks, including one by Patrik Laine in the most recent game at United Center on Feb. 17, 2022 (7-4 CBJ win).
« Dec. 23, 2022 – at CHI 5, CBJ 2
« Dec. 31, 2022 – at COLUMBUS (1 p.m. ET)
Player Notables vs. Chicago
« LW Johnny Gaudreau – 9-17-26 in 21 career GP, including goals in three of his last four games (4-2-6) and points in 11 of his last 13 – with 8 multi-point efforts – against the club (8-13-21).
« LW Patrik Laine – 17-9-26 in 28 career GP, including points in nine of his last 12 contests overall (11-4-15).
« LW Gustav Nyquist – 6-12-18 in 22 career GP, including multiple points in three of his last six contests (2-6-8).
« C Jack Roslovic – 6-10-16 in 22 career GP, including .
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- The Blue Jackets fell for a seventh-straight game following a 2-1 loss at the NY Islanders on Thursday.
- Columbus plays its final game of the 2022 portion of the season Saturday afternoon. The club is 10-6-1 in 17 games played on New Year’s Eve, including 4-1-0 in the last five. The Blue Jackets are 8-4-1 at Nationwide Arena on the day.
- The Blue Jackets closed out a stretch of six-of-seven contests away from Nationwide Arena on Thursday (Buffalo home game was postponed). The stretch of road games began back on December 13. The team plays three of its next four contests at home through January 7.
- The Blue Jackets have recorded three power play goals in the last four games (3-12; 25.0 pct.). The club is 13-of-60 on the power play since November 5 (21.7 pct.) after scoring on just one of their first 32 power play chances through the first 11 games (3.1 pct.).
- CBJ blueliners have registered 2-3-5 in the last three games and have collected 15-37-52 in 34 games in 2022-23.
- Columbus has had 22 different players score a goal this season and is tied with Detroit, Florida and the NY Islanders for the most players on a single team in the NHL with a goal.
- Blue Jackets rookies have registered 4-3-7 over the last three games. They lead all NHL teams in goals and rank fourth in points with 17-21-38 in 34 games in 2022-23.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- RW Emil Bemstrom notched Columbus’ lone goal at the NY Islanders and has collected 2-1-3 in his last four games with the Blue Jackets dating back to November 19. The winger has registered points in 12-straight games played split between CBJ and the AHL’s Cleveland Monsters with 8-10-18 recorded since November 25.
- D Marcus Bjork registered an assist for the second-straight game on Thursday and has collected 1-3-4 in his last five games. He leads NHL rookie blueliners in points-per-game (min. 10 GP) and ranks second-T in goals with 3-7-10 in 21 appearances (.48 Pts/GP).
- LW Johnny Gaudreau has collected 3-14-17 with points in 10 of his last 15 contests. He ranks fourth-T in the NHL in assists since November 10 with 5-21-26 in 22 contests. With 2-11-13 in 13 December games, he is two assists shy of tying the franchise record for most assists in the month (Panarin, 13 in Dec. 2017). The six-time NHL All-Star ranks third-T in the League in assists and points for the 2022 calendar year with 38-79-117 in 87 contests with Calgary and Columbus.
- C Kent Johnson, who has recorded goals in two of his last four games, ranks fourth among NHL rookies in goals and seventh-T in points-per-game (min. 15 GP) with 8-8-16 in 31 contests (.52 ppg).
- G Joonas Korpisalo turned aside 34-of-36 shots against the Islanders on Thursday (.944 SV%) and has posted a .955 save percentage (63-of-66) with a 1.58 goals-against average over his last three appearances since December 9.
- LW/RW Patrik Laine, who missed Thursday’s game due to COVID protocols, has collected 1-2-3 in his last four contests. With 7-5-12 in 12 outings in December, he is two goals from tying the franchise record for most goals in the month (Atkinson, Dec. 2016).
- RW Kirill Marchenko has scored goals four of his last seven contests (4-0-4) since December 11. He leads NHL rookies in goals (tied) and ranks sixth-T in points over that span.
- W Gustav Nyquist has registered assists in three of his last four games and has totaled 3-3-6 in 13 December contests.
- C Jack Roslovic had his three-game assist streak snapped on Thursday. He has picked up 2-10-12 in 13 outings in December after totaling 1-5-6 in his first 25 games of the campaign. He sits two assists shy for tying the franchise record for the month of December.
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- RW Yegor Chinakhov is eight games from 100 for his NHL career (11-16-27, 91 GP).
- G Joonas Korpisalo is four games from 200 for his NHL career (80-73-22, 196 GP).
- LW/RW Patrik Laine is seven points from 100 for his CBJ career (45-48-93, 121 GP).
- C Jack Roslovic is three points from 100 for his CBJ career (37-60-97, 160 GP).
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- D Jake Bean (shoulder) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 17); out 4-to-6 months (19 games)
- D Nick Blankenburg (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); 6-to-8 weeks (21 games)
- RW Yegor Chinakhov (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 20); out indefinitely (3 games)
- C/RW Justin Danforth (torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Oct. 25); 6 months (28 games)
- C Boone Jenner (fractured thumb) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 19); 4-weeks (4 games)
- LW Patrik Laine (COVID) is day-to-day (1 game)
- LW Jakub Voracek (upper body) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 4); out indefinitely (23 games)
- D Zach Werenski (shoulder separation/torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); out 6 months (21 games)
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 215
COURTESY CBJ COMMUNICATIONS