DEC. 29, 2022 II UBS ARENA II at NEW YORK ISLANDERS
TV: Bally Sports Ohio Jeff Rimer (play-by-play), Jody Shelley (analyst), Dave Maetzold (reporter)
Radio: 97.1 The Fan Bob McElligott (play-by-play), Dylan Tyrer (host)
« C Mathew Barzal, who has collected 5-11-16 in 16 career games vs. Columbus, ranks seventh-T in the NHL in assists and leads the Islanders in assists and ranks second in points with 5-28-33 in 35 contests in 2022-23.
« C Brock Nelson leads the club in goals and points and ranks second in assists with 15-19-34 in 35 contests this season and has registered points in five-straight games played vs. CBJ (5-2-7).
« G Ilya Sorokin is tied for the NHL lead in shutouts and ranks fourth in goals-against average and save percentage (min. 10 GP) with a 12-11-1 record, 2.32 GAA, .926 SV% and three shutouts in 26 appearances in 2022-23.
« Columbus is 23-17-8 in 48 all-time meetings vs. New York, going 8-12-3 on the road in those meetings.
« New York has won the last five consecutive contests in the series (CBJ; 0-4-1).
« CBJ have picked up points in two of the last four games at New York (1-2-1).
« The home team is 7-3-1 in the last 11 meetings of the series dating back to Mar. 11, 2019.
« Columbus has killed off 22-of-26 New York power plays in the last 13 contests of the series (84.6 pct.) and 11-of-13 in the last seven road contests (84.6 pct.).
« The Blue Jackets own four of the eleven shutouts in the all-time series, with their most recent one recorded by Sergei Bobrovsky on Mar. 26, 2019 (26 saves in 4-0 win at CBJ).
« New York has recorded all three hat tricks in the all-time series with the most recent recorded by Anders Lee in a 6-0 Isles win at NYI last season on Mar. 10, 2022.
« Nov. 12, 2022 – at NYI 4, CBJ 3 (OT)
« Nov. 25, 2022 – NYI 3, at CBJ 2
« Dec. 29, 2022 – at New York (7:30 p.m. ET)
« Mar. 24, 2023 – at COLUMBUS (7 p.m. ET)
Player Notables vs. New York
« RW Emil Bemstrom – 2-1-3 in 5 career GP, including 1-1-2 in the game on Nov. 12
« D Marcus Bjork – 1-1-2 in 2 career GP with points scored in both contests of the season series including his first career NHL goal on Nov. 12
« LW Johnny Gaudreau – 4-10-14 in 13 career GP, including three multi-point outings in the last four games against NYI (1-5-6), and points in nine of the last 10 games played (3-10-13)
« D Vladislav Gavrikov – 3-2-5 in 9 career GP, including points in two of the last four contests (2-1-3)
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- The Blue Jackets fell for a sixth-straight game and moved to 7-12-2 in the last 21 games following a 5-2 loss at Chicago on December 23.
- Columbus plays two more games before the new year; tomorrow at the NY Islanders and a Saturday matinee vs. the Blackhawks at Nationwide Arena.
- The Blue Jackets close out a stretch of six-of-eight contests away from Nationwide Arena tomorrow. The stretch of road games began back on December 13.
- The Blue Jackets have recorded three power play goals in the last three games (3-10; 33.3 pct.). The club is 13-of-58 on the power play since November 5 (22.4 pct.) after scoring on just one of their first 32 power play chances through the first 11 games (3.1 pct.).
- CBJ blueliners have recorded 1-1-2 in each of the last two games and have collected 15-36-51 in 33 games in 2022-23.
- Columbus has had 22 different players score a goal this season and is tied with Detroit, Florida and the NY Islanders for the most players on a single team in the NHL with a goal.
- Blue Jackets rookies have registered 2-1-3 stat lines in each of the last two games. They lead all NHL teams in goals and rank fourth in points with 17-20-37 in 33 games in 2022-23.
- The Jackets have won three of their four Thursday games this season and play four consecutive Thursday contests through January 19.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- D Marcus Bjork registered his first career multi-point effort with 1-1-2 at Chicago and has registered 1-2-3 in his last four games. He ranks second among NHL rookie blueliners in goals (tied) and points-per-game (min. 10 GP) with 3-6-9 in 20 appearances (.45 Pts/GP).
- LW Johnny Gaudreau has collected 3-13-16 with points in nine of his last 14 contests. He ranks sixth in the NHL in assists since November 10 with 5-20-25 in 21 contests. With 2-10-12 in 12 December games, he is three assists shy of tying the franchise record for most assists in the month (Panarin, 13 in Dec. 2017). The six-time NHL All-Star ranks third in the League in assists and fourth-T in points for the 2022 calendar year with 38-78-116 in 86 contests with Calgary and Columbus.
- C Kent Johnson, who has recorded goals in two of his last three games, ranks fourth among NHL rookies in goals, sixth in points and points-per-game (tied, min. 15 GP) with 8-8-16 in 30 contests (.53 ppg).
- G Joonas Korpisalo turned aside 17-of-18 shots in relief at Chicago and has posted a .967 save percentage over his last two appearances since December 9 (29-of-30).
- LW/RW Patrik Laine has collected 1-2-3 in his last four contests. With 7-5-12 in 12 outings in December, he is two goals from tying the franchise record for most goals in the month (Atkinson, Dec. 2016).
- RW Kirill Marchenko has scored goals in back-to-back games and four of his last six contests (4-0-4) since December 11. He leads NHL rookies in goals and ranks third-T in points over that span.
- W Gustav Nyquist has registered assists in each of the last three contests and has totaled 3-3-6 in 12 December games.
- C Jack Roslovic has collected assists in three-straight games and has picked up 2-10-12 in 12 outings in December after totaling 1-5-6 in his first 25 games of the campaign. Along with Gaudreau, he sits three assists shy for tying the franchise record for the month of December.
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- RW Yegor Chinakhov is eight games from 100 for his NHL career (11-16-27, 91 GP).
- G Joonas Korpisalo is five games from 200 for his NHL career (80-72-22, 195 GP).
- LW/RW Patrik Laine is seven points from 100 for his CBJ career (45-48-93, 121 GP).
- C Jack Roslovic is three points from 100 for his CBJ career (37-60-97, 159 GP).
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- D Jake Bean (shoulder) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 17); out 4-to-6 months (18 games)
- D Nick Blankenburg (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); 6-to-8 weeks (20 games)
- RW Yegor Chinakhov (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 20); out indefinitely (2 games)
- C/RW Justin Danforth (torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Oct. 25); 6 months (27 games)
- C Boone Jenner (fractured thumb) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 19); 4-weeks (3 games)
- LW Patrik Laine (COVID) is day-to-day
- G Elvis Merzlikins (COVID) is day-to-day (2 games)
- C Cole Sillinger (upper body) is day-to-day (3 games)
- LW Jakub Voracek (upper body) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 4); out indefinitely (22 games)
- D Zach Werenski (shoulder separation/torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); out 6 months (20 games)
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 206
COURTESY CBJ COMMUNICATIONS