DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team is back home at UD Arena for a pair of games this week, beginning with Western Michigan on Wednesday. Game time is 7 p.m. ET
Dayton is coming off a 79-75 overtime loss to BYU at the Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis last Friday. DaRon Holmes II led UD with 21 points and 9 boards, and Mike Sharavjamts added 15.
The Flyers are the preseason favorite in the Atlantic 10. Dayton returns all five starters from a team that finished 24-11, and tied for second in the A-10 with a 14-4 record.
Wednesday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio, televised on Spectrum News 1 and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara has been a beast on the boards in 2022-23. His 10.0 rebounds a game is tied for 20th in the nation and leads the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in the four games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU. He had six in 12 minutes before being injured and not returning at UNLV.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (8) and is second in blocked shots (7). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• Camara is this season’s team captain.
• Anthony Grant is two wins away from being the 13th active African-American D-I coach to reach 300 wins. The others are Tommy Amaker, Mike Anderson, Rod Barnes, Ed Cooley, Mike Davis, Leonard Hamilton, Ron Hunter, James Jones, Ritchie McKay, Lorenzo Romar and Kelvin Sampson.
• DaRon Holmes II (first team), Toumani Camara (second team) and Malachi Smith (second team) were all named Preseason All-Atlantic 10 in a vote of the coaches and selected media this year. Holmes and Smith were also on the Preseason All-Defensive Team.
•.Holmes has been named to a pair of prestigious watch lists — the L.A. Athletic Club’s John Wooden Player of the Year, and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (14.3), is second in rebounding (6.1), tied for second in assists (2.0) and third in steals (6). He also has 15 blocked shots in the seven games.
• Smith made his season debut vs. Robert Morris after missing several weeks with an ankle injury. The Flyer point guard also started all three games in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
• Kobe Elvis is second for UD in minutes (33.7), points (10.1) and assists (3.0).
• Mustapha Amzil has come off the bench in all games this season, and reached double figures in all three wins. His 10.1 ppg. scoring average is third on the team.
• Dayton’s four A-10 regular season losses last year included three by a total of four points.
• Dayton remains home at UD Arena against Southeastern Louisiana on Saturday, Dec. 2.
• Game time is 2 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS