Musketeers and Gators played in the 2022 NIT
CINCINNATI — The Xavier University Musketeers, 3-1, play the University of Florida Gators, 3-1, on Thursday in their first game at the Phil Knight Legacy event in Portland, Ore. XU is coming off a two-point loss to No. 12 Indiana, while Florida is coming off a win over in-state rival Florida State.
XU plays either No. 8 Duke or Oregon State on Friday. XU’s final game on Sunday will be against No. 6 Gonzaga, No. 24 Purdue, West Virginia or Portland State.
RV/RV XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (3-1, 0-0 BIG EAST)
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA GATORS (3-1, 0-0 SEC)
THURSDAY, NOV. 24, 2022 AT 2:30 P.M. PST (5:30 P.M. ET)
at VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM IN PORTLAND, OREGON
TV & RADIO
Television: ESPN2 with play by-play from Doug Sherman and analysis from Cory Alexander.
Radio: 700 WLW with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer Joe Sunderman (’79) and analysis from XU all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin (’88).
Xavier, 3-1, is coming off an 81-79 loss to No. 12 Indiana on Friday in a Gavitt Tipoff Games matchup. XU had balanced scoring with five players in double figures.
• Xavier has had recent success against current teams in the Southeastern Conference. XU is 23-8 in its last 31 games against 10 different current SEC members dating back to 2008.
• Xavier junior Colby Jones, who was named Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team, sat out the Fairfield game with a sprained ankle but returned vs. Indiana and contributed 13 points, seven rebounds, six assists, three steals and two blocks.
• Xavier graduate student Jack Nunge, who was named Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team, leads Xavier in scoring at 17.0 ppg. (tied for fourth in the BIG EAST), is second on the team in rebounding at 6.8 rpg. and is tied for second in blocks at 1.5 bpg.
• Xavier’s balanced scoring attack boasts five players in double figures in scoring led by Jack Nunge (17.0 ppg.), Zach Freemantle (15.5 ppg. to go with a team-high 7.3 rpg., which ranks 10th in the BIG EAST), Souley Boum (14.0 ppg.), Colby Jones (13.3 ppg. to go with a team-high 6.7 apg., which ranks third in the BIG EAST) and Adam Kunkel (11.5 ppg.).
• Xavier senior Zach Freemantle has been named to the BIG EAST Conference Honor Roll two weeks in a row (Nov. 14 and Nov. 21).
• Xavier head coach Sean Miller is back for his sixth season at the helm. Miller, who was the XU head coach from 2004-09, is the fifth-winningest active Division I head coach (by win percentage) among coaches with at least 10 years as a head coach.
• Xavier won the 2008 Puerto Rico-Tipoff, the 2007 Chicago Challenge and finished runner-up at the 2006 Paradise Jam in the U.S. Virgin Islands in holiday tournaments during Sean Miller’s first stint as XU head coach.
• Xavier has graduated 117 straight seniors.
COURTESY XAVIER ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS