FROM WIKIPEDIA COMMONS
Sir John Frederick William Herschel, 1st Baronet KH FRS (/ˈhɜːrʃəl, ˈhɛər-/; 7 March 1792 – 11 May 1871) was an English polymath active as a mathematician, astronomer, chemist, inventor, experimental photographer who invented the blueprint, and did botanical work.
Herschel originated the use of the Julian day system in astronomy. He named seven moons of Saturn and four moons of Uranus – the seventh planet, discovered by his father Sir William Herschel. He made many contributions to the science of photography, and investigated colour blindness and the chemical power of ultraviolet rays. His Preliminary Discourse (1831), which advocated an inductive approach to scientific experiment and theory-building, was an important contribution to the philosophy of science.
Question of the Day
Where does Ugli fruit come from?
This is a trademark for the tangelo, a tropical fruit that is a hybrid between a grapefruit and a tangerine or mandarin orange. Tangelos originated in Jamaica.
Advice of the Day
When closing up a summer house, run a cycle of warm water and 1 cup vinegar through the washing machine and dishwasher before draining the pipes.
Home Hint of the Day
Buy narrow T-shaped hardware to cover the gap between your kitchen counter and stove. This will seal a gap up to 1/4 inch wide and prevent food from collecting there.
Word of the Day
1 hogshead=63 gallons
Puzzle of the Day
The Coyote State.(Name the U.S. state!)
- John Singleton Copley (artist) – 1815
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (painter) – 1901
- Bill Monroe (American musician) – 1996
- Burgess Meredith (actor) – 1997
- Leo Tolstoy (author) – 1828
- Harland Sanders (founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken) – 1890
- Phyllis Whitney (writer) – 1903
- Sylvia Miles (actress) – 1932
- Otis Redding (singer & songwriter) – 1941
- Tom Wopat (actor & singer) – 1951
- Angela Cartwright (actress) – 1952
- Hugh Grant (actor) – 1960
- Adam Sandler (actor) – 1966
- Eric Stonestreet (actor) – 1971
- Michael Bublé (singer) – 1975
- Michelle Williams (actress) – 1980
- Continental Congress declared United States of America” would be the name of the new nation”– 1776
- John Herschel took the first glass plate photograph– 1839
- California was admitted as the 31st state– 1850
- Tom Fleming won the first national log rolling championship– 1898
- Canadian swimmer, Marilyn Bell, became the first person to swim across Lake Ontario– 1954
- Elvis Presley appeared for the first time on The Ed Sullivan Show. The show was hosted by Charles Laughton because Sullivan was recovering from injuries received in a car accident– 1956
- USS Long Beach, the first nuclear-powered surface warship, was commissioned– 1961
- Arthur Ashe won the U.S. Open tennis title– 1968
- The comic strip For Better or For Worse debuted– 1979
- Queen Elizabeth II became the longest-reigning monarch in Britain’s history– 2015
- Football game between Miami Dolphins and Tennessee Titans lasted about 7 hours 8 minutes due to 3 hours 59 minutes of weather (lightning) delays. This made it the longest game in NFL history since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger. Dolphins beat the Titans 27-20.– 2018
- Thrall, Texas, had 38.2 inches of rain within 24 hours– 1921