PGA TOUR EVENT AT DETROIT GOLF CLUB
Most of the 156-player field was finalized Friday, July 22 for the 2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic (July 28-31), the only PGA TOUR event ever held in Detroit and set to be broadcast live on Golf Channel and CBS. The 72-hole event will be played at the historic, Donald Ross-designed Detroit Golf Club, with the champion earning $1,512,000 (from an $8.4 million purse) and 500 FedExCup points.
The fourth edition of the Rocket Mortgage Classic features 11 major champions, 85 PGA TOUR winners and eight golfers who have won during the 2021-22 PGA TOUR season. Twenty players are ranked within the top 50 of the PGA TOUR’s 2021-22 FedExCup standings:
The field features 10 of the top 50 players in the Official World Golf Ranking, including:
- No. 4 Patrick Cantlay – The PGA TOUR’s2021 FedExCup champion and Player of the Year is set to make his Rocket Mortgage Classic debut. He has won seven PGA TOUR titles and is ranked No. 6 in the PGA TOUR’s 2021-22 FedExCup standings.
- No. 13 Will Zalatoris – 2022 U.S. Open and 2022 PGA Championship runner-up was last year’s PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year and the 2014 U.S. Junior Amateur champion. Ranked ninth in the PGA TOUR’s 2021-22 FedExCup standings.
- No. 17 Tony Finau – The two-time PGA TOUR winner has represented the United States on its last two Ryder Cup teams. He has 10 runner-up finishes on the PGA TOUR in the last four-plus seasons.
- No. 19 Cameron Young – LeadingPGA TOUR Rookie of the Year candidate and Rocket Mortgage Classic debutante placed second at last week’s Open Championship and T3 at the 2022 PGA Championship. Ranked No. 13 in the PGA TOUR’s 2021-22 FedExCup standings.
- No. 21 Max Homa – Two of his four PGA TOUR wins have come in the current season. Ranked No. 11 in the PGA TOUR’s 2021-22 FedExCup standings.
- No. 27 Kevin Kisner – Four-time PGA TOUR winner has played in every Rocket Mortgage Classic, finishing third in 2020 and T8 last year.
- No. 34 Harris English – Four-time PGA TOUR winner and 2021 U.S. Ryder Cup team member.
- No. 39 Adam Scott – Australia’s only Masters champion (in 2013), the 14-time PGA TOUR champion is making his Rocket Mortgage Classic debut.
- No. 45 Keegan Bradley – The four-time PGA TOUR champion, who won the PGA Championship and the PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year award in 2011; finished T7 at the U.S. Open and fifth at THE PLAYERS Championship in 2022.
- No. 49 Cameron Tringale – Ranked No. 25 in the PGA TOUR’s 2021-22 FedExCup standings and has played every Rocket Mortgage Classic (T5 in 2019 and T14 in 2021).
Other notable players include:
- Cameron Champ – Three-time PGA TOUR winner and current-season PGA TOUR driving distance leader (320-yard average) has played every Rocket Mortgage Classic.
- Stewart Cink – The 2009 Open Championship winner and eight-time PGA TOUR winner. Played in five Ryder Cups and four Presidents Cups for the United States.
- Cam Davis – The Australian defeated 54-hole co-leaders Troy Merritt and Joaquin Niemann in a five-hole playoff to win the 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic, earning his first career PGA TOUR victory in his 71st start. He has played in every edition of the Rocket Mortgage Classic, and has five top-10 finishes this season.
- Jason Day – The former World No. 1 owns 12 PGA TOUR victories, including the 2015 PGA Championship and THE PLAYERS Championship in 2016. Making his third consecutive Rocket Mortgage Classic start, having placed T14 last year.
- Luke Donald – Five-time PGA TOUR winner and former World No. 1 represented Europe in four Ryder Cups and has played every Rocket Mortgage Classic.
- Rickie Fowler – A Rocket Mortgage ambassador and a five-time PGA TOUR winner, Fowler has played on four Ryder Cup teams and appeared in three Presidents Cups, and represented the United States in the 2016 Olympic Games.
- Lucas Glover – The four-time PGA TOUR champion won the 2009 U.S. Open and will make his third consecutive Rocket Mortgage Classic start.
- Mackenzie Hughes – The world’s No. 2-ranked Canadian, from Hamilton, Ontario, played for his country in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and is the first player in TOUR history to win on PGA TOUR Canada, the Korn Ferry Tour and the PGA TOUR.
- Zach Johnson –2023 U.S. Ryder Cup team captain is a 12-time PGA TOUR champion, including wins at the 2007 Masters and 2015 Open Championship, and will make his Rocket Mortgage Classic debut.
- Si Woo Kim – Three-time PGA TOUR winner and 2020 Olympian (representing South Korea) became the youngest winner of THE PLAYERS Championship (21 years, 10 months, 16 days) in 2017.
- Matt Kuchar – The American holds nine PGA TOUR titles, including the 2012 THE PLAYERS Championship, and has played in four Ryder Cups and five Presidents Cups. The 1997 U.S. Amateur champ is set to play his first Rocket Mortgage Classic.
- Nate Lashley – Wire-to-wire winner of the inaugural Rocket Mortgage Classic after getting into the 2019 field as the third alternate.
- Davis Love III – 2017 World Golf Hall of Fame inductee holds 21 PGA TOUR titles, including the 1997 PGA Championship. The 2012 and 2016 U.S. Ryder Cup captain and 2022 Presidents Cup captain played in six Ryder Cups and six Presidents Cups.
- Doc Redman – 2019 Rocket Mortgage Classic runner-up and 2017 U.S. Amateur champion.
- Webb Simpson – Seven-time PGA TOUR winner, including 2012 U.S. Open and 2018 PLAYERS Championship; Placed T8 in the 2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic.
- Brian Stuard – Jackson, Michigan native who graduated from Napoleon High School in 2001 and played collegiately at Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan. Won the 2016 Zurich Classic of New Orleans and placed T5 in 2019 Rocket Mortgage Classic.
- Danny Willett – The 2016 Masters champion, who represented England in the Rio Olympics and Team Europe in the Ryder Cup that same year, placed T4 in the 2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic.
- Gary Woodland – Four-time PGA TOUR champion won the U.S. Open and played on the United States’ Presidents Cup team in 2019. A former college basketball player, he placed T10 in last month’s U.S. Open.
Additionally, the Rocket Mortgage Classic awarded sponsor exemptions to PGA TOUR winners Wesley Bryan and Geoff Ogilvy, the 2006 U.S. Open champion and eight-time PGA TOUR champion, as well as PGA TOUR veteran Morgan Hoffmann, long-hitting Brandon Matthews (a 2022 Korn Ferry Tour tournament winner) and three recent collegiate standouts – Chris Gotterup (2022 Haskins Award and Jack Nicklaus Award winner – both honors recognizing the nation’s best collegiate golfer – at the University of Oklahoma), Cole Hammer (2022 NCAA Division I national champion with the University of Texas who was awarded the Mark H. McCormack medal as the world’s top amateur golfer in 2019) and Michael Thorbjornsen (No. 5 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, 2018 U.S. Junior Amateur champion, 2022 NCAA All-American at Stanford University). The Rocket Mortgage Classic will be Gotterup’s sixth pro start, Matthews’ fourth pro start and Hammer’s third pro start, on the PGA TOUR.
The final five spots in the Rocket Mortgage Classic field will be awarded to Sunday’s winner of THE JOHN SHIPPEN National Golf Invitational presented by Rocket Mortgage – a 36-hole tournament taking place at Detroit Golf Club – and four Monday qualifiers.
The Rocket Mortgage Classic field is listed below. More tournament information is available at www.RocketMortgageClassic.com.
2022 Rocket Mortgage Classic Final Field (151 players) as of July 22, 2022
Bryan, Wesley +
Cook, Ben #
Gotterup, Chris +
Hammer, Cole +
Hoffmann, Morgan +
Kim, Si Woo
Love III, Davis
Matthews, Brandon +
Ogilvy, Geoff +
Thorbjornsen, Michael +
van der Walt, Dawie
Van Pelt, Bo
+ Sponsor Exemption
# Section Champion
COURTESY ROCKET MORTGAGE CLASSIC COMMUNICATIONS