Question of the Day
Is there a best feeding time for fish, and is this also the best time to see deer, rabbits, and other animals?All fish in all waters — salt or fresh — feed most heavily when the ocean tides are restless, before their turn and in the first hour of ebbing. Fish also feed after sunup for a short while and just before and after sundown. The latter habit also applies to deer, rabbits, and other creatures.
Advice of the Day
Plant corn now or lose a bushel a day past the middle of May.
Home Hint of the Day
To prevent aluminum furniture from marking clothes, clean the furniture by wiping it with paint thinner on a cloth pad. Then place the furniture outdoors and spray on a coat or two of clear lacquer.
Word of the Day
Bronx cheerA cry or noise made to express displeasure or contempt.
Puzzle of the Day
Why was the broom late?It over swept!
- John Brown (abolitionist) – 1800
- J. M. Barrie (author) – 1860
- Henry J. Kaiser (industrialist) – 1882
- Hank Snow (singer) – 1914
- Mike Wallace (journalist) – 1918
- Albert Finney (actor) – 1936
- Candice Bergen (actress) – 1946
- Billy Joel (musician) – 1949
- Rosario Dawson (actress) – 1979
- Nelson Algren (writer) – 1981
- Alice Faye (actress) – 1998
- Alan King (comedian) – 2004
- Lena Horne (actress & singer) – 2010
- Thomas Blood stole the Crown Jewels– 1671
- First American political cartoon debuted in The Pennsylvania Gazette– 1754
- William F. Ford issued patent for stethoscope– 1882
- Hindenburg completed its first flight to the United States– 1936
- Sam and Friends debuted on television– 1955
- Sale of birth control pills approved by FDA– 1960
- 40-pound 4-ounce brown trout caught in Little Red River, Arkansas– 1992
- Boston, Massachusetts, got its first May snow in 107 years– 1977
- An EF1 tornado touched down in Washington, Vermont– 2009