Saturday, Apr 30, 2022
It was the first win for Columbus since a 2-1 victory over Toronto FC on March 12, with the club scoring for the first time in MLS play since a stoppage-time tally against the New York Red Bulls on March 20.
The Crew ended their scoring drought with an AT&T 5G Goal of the Week candidate in the 28th minute, as Pedro Santos beat flat-footed D.C. goalkeeper Jon Kempin with a laser free kick to give Columbus a 1-0 lead. Derrick Etienne later doubled the margin on the back of a perfect long pass from Josh Williams to make it 2-0 just before the half.
Darlington Nagbe provided the exclamation point for Columbus with a Goal of the Week candidate of his own in the 75th minute, letting loose a ferocious volley from beyond the box as the Crew picked up their third win of the 2022 season.
- 28′ – CLB – Pedro Santos | WATCH
- 43′ – CLB – Derrick Etienne | WATCH
- 75′ – CLB – Darlington Nagbe | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: After a month-plus that saw the Crew shut out in four straight MLS matches and crash out in the US Open Cup – not to mention a trade of Gyasi Zardes to the Colorado Rapids – the Crew finally found themselves in the win column. It’s what Caleb Porter will hope is just the start of a sustained run of form. Meanwhile, D.C. failed to make it back-to-back wins in league play for interim head coach Chad Ashton, as they couldn’t capitalize on a three-goal effort against the New England Revolution a week prior.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Pedro Santos had a scorcher of a free kick to put Columbus ahead in the first half. Darlington Nagbe, though, one-upped his teammate with a quarter-hour remaining.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Pedro Santos set the tone for the Crew’s offense on the night, his first-half free kick helping deliver a long-awaited win for his club.
COLUMBUS CREW MAN OF THE MATCH
COURTESY COLUMBUS CREW COMMUNICATIONS