Two Teams Combine To Shoot 33% From The Field
FAIRFAX, Va. – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team saw its four-game win streak snapped Saturday night, dropping a 50-49 decision at George Mason.
Dayton is now 12-7 on the season, and 4-2 in the Atlantic 10. George Mason improves to 8-7 and 1-1.
- George Mason led at the first media, 5-3 with 15:24 left in the first half.
- The two teams were tied 12-12 at the next break at the 10:12 mark.
- Dayton led 16-16 with 7:33 left.
- Mason led 22-21 with 2:47 to go, and then Malachi Smith scored on an “and-one” to give the Flyers a 24-22 lead.
- D’shawn Schwartz drained a three-pointer with 55 seconds left to give the Patriots a 25-24 halftime lead.
- Dayton made just one of its last seven shots to shoot .345 (10-29) from the field. George Mason shot .409 (10-29), but committed eight of its 12 turnovers.
- Mason led 30-28 at the first media time out at 15:23 and 41-37 at the 10:42 mark.
- UD took its only second half lead on a Malachi Smith layup (42-41 with 9:11 left to go), and increased it to three 30 seconds later on a pair of Koby Brea free throws.
- But George Mason outscored Dayton 7-0 over the next 7:17 to lead 48-44 inside two minutes left.
- A Kobe Elvis layup cut it to two, and after a pair of GMU free throws, Brea trey made it 50-49 with 10 seconds to go.
- Dayton fouled Xavier Johnson with six seconds left. Johnson missed the front end of the one-and-one. Mustapha Amzil pulled down the rebound, was hounded as he brought it across mid-court and his long three at the buzzer could only draw iron.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Three Flyers scored in double digits – Malachi Smith (12), Kobe Elvis (11) and Koby Brea (11).
- The game featured 12 lead changes, eight ties and neither team held lead larger than four points in the contest.
- DaRon Holmes II led UD with seven rebounds.
- The Flyers only had seven assists on their 18 field goals, but Smith led the way with three.
- Smith also had five steals.
- Mustapha Amzil and Elijah Weaver led the Flyers in plus/minus ratings at +4.
- Both teams scored their season low in in the game.
- UD returns home next week for a pair of games at UD Arena — Tuesday, Jan. 25 with Fordham and Friday, Jan 28 against Rhode Island.
- Both games start at 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS