Golden Eagles won their fifth straight game at Villanova on Wednesday.
CINCINNATI — The No. 20 Xavier University Musketeers, 14-3 overall and 4-2 in the BIG EAST Conference, visit the Marquette University Golden Eagles, 13-6 overall and 5-3 in the BIG EAST, on Sunday afternoon. Xavier won the first meeting this season 80-71 on Dec. 18 at Cintas Center.
Xavier is shooting for a third straight win, while MU is looking to extend its win streak to six games. Xavier is coming off a 68-67 win at DePaul on Wednesday. Marquette upset No. 11 Villanova at VU on Wednesday.
NO. 20/20 XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (14-3, 4-2 BIG EAST)
MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY GOLDEN EAGLES (13-6, 5-3 BIG EAST)
SUNDAY, JAN. 23, 2022 AT 2 P.M. ET (1 P.M. CT)
FISERV FORUM (17,341) IN MILWAUKEE, WIS.
RADIO AND LIVE STATS
Television: FS1 with pbp from Matt Schumacker and analysis from Nick Bahe.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer Joe Sunderman (’79) and analysis from XU all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin (’88). XU broadcast is also on Sirius (83), XM (83) and the SXM App. (83).
Live Stats: Stats at GoXavier.com and GoMarquette.com.
Xavier, 14-3 overall and 4-2 in the BIG EAST Conference, is coming off its second straight victory, a 68-67 win at DePaul on Wednesday.
• Xavier is ranked No. 20 in the Associated Press Poll and No. 20 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. XU is 16th in the NCAA NET and 19th in KenPom.
• Xavier is 3-1 in true road games this season, including 2-1 in BIG EAST play. XU won at Oklahoma State, Butler and DePaul and fell at Villanova.
• Xavier has four players averaging in double figures in scoring from 11.0 ppg. to 12.6 ppg. and have had eight different players lead the team in scoring this season.
• Xavier junior Jack Nunge leads the team in scoring at 12.6 ppg. following his 23-point effort at DePaul that included 13 points in the final seven minutes. Nunge is second on the team in rebounding at 7.0 rpg. (tied for 13th in the BIG EAST).
• Xavier senior Nate Johnson, who is second on the team in scoring at 11.6 ppg., is fifth in the BIG EAST in 3-point field goals at 2.47 per game.
• Xavier senior Paul Scruggs is 21st on Xavier’s all-time scoring list with 1,433 points and ninth on Xavier’s all-time assist leaders chart with 449.
• Xavier sophomore Colby Jones, who is fourth in the BIG EAST in rebounding (8.1 rpg.), is fifth in the BIG EAST in offensive rebounding (2.9 rpg.).
• Xavier junior Zach Freemantle, preseason First Team All-BIG EAST, posted his first double-double of the season and ninth of his career with 13 points and 11 rebounds vs. Creighton on Jan. 15. He missed the first six games following foot surgery.
COURTESY XAVIER ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS