Tip Time is 7 P.M. ET
DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team is back home Tuesday to take on St. Bonaventure. The game was originally scheduled for Jan. 2. Tip time is 7 p.m. ET.
UD won its third straight with a strong effort at Duquesne on Saturday, winning by the score of 72-52. DaRon Holmes II led with 18 points and Kobe Elvis added 16. Both were career highs.
Tuesday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio, televised in SW Ohio on Spectrum News 1 and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Dayton had five consecutive A-10 Rookies of the Week from Nov. 30 to Dec. 20. Malachi Smith was named on 11/30, 12/6 and 12/20. DaRon Holmes II, who was named on 12/13 and 12/27. The string was broken when Flyer games the week of 1/3 were not played.
• UD and Gonzaga are the only two schools to win the Orlando title more than once.
• Dayton’s win over No. 4/3 Kansas was its first over a Top 5 team since the Flyers beat No. 3 DePaul 72-71 at the buzzer on Feb. 18, 1984. Anthony Grant was a freshman on that team.
• The game-winning floater vs. Kansas by Helsinki native Mustapha Amzil has been dubbed Flyer lore as “The Finnish.”
• For the first time in UD Arena history, all season and single game tickets were sold before the season even began. That announcement was made on Nov. 4.
• The Covid year has complicated “the clock” for college student-athletes. With that in mind, the Flyers’ 11 players listed as freshmen or redshirt freshmen are the second-most in NCAA Division I men’s basketball. Only Arizona (13) has more. Air Force, Marquette and Vanderbilt (10) are next. KenPom has UD the least experienced team in D-I.
• Dayton’s incoming freshman class is ranked 21st-best in the nation. DaRon Holmes II, a consensus Top 50 recruit, is the highest-rated prospect to ever sign with UD.
• Holmes is first nationally among freshmen (and fifth overall) in dunks (37). Next are Jalen Duren of Memphis (32), Chet Holmgren of Gonzaga (30) and Kendall Brown of Baylor (29).
• Holmes is second in the A-10 in FG% (.650, 78-120). URI’s Antwan Walker is first (.667).
• Malachi Smith was the first Flyer freshman named an in-season tournament MVP since Roosevelt Chapman was MVP of the UD Invitational in 1980. Smith leads the team in minutes, assists and steals, is second in 3-pt. FG%, FT%, and is third in scoring and rebounding.
• R.J. Blakney was 5-for-5 from deep in the Va. Tech win. That’s the second-best single-game effort in UD history, behind Shawn Haughn (8-for-8) and tying him with two other Flyers.
• Dayton has depth. Nine Flyers average 7.5 minutes or more. Nine players have had at least one game of 10 points or more. Eight average 6.0+ points a game, and three average 10+.
• UD shoots .512 and allows .390 from the field in its 11 wins this season. In the six losses, Dayton is shoots .432 and allows .472. UD allows 57.5 ppg. in its wins, and 71.7 in its losses.
• The Flyers are at George Mason on Saturday at 7 p.m. ET.
• UD returns home next week for a pair of games at UD Arena — Tuesday, Jan. 25 with Fordham and Friday, Jan 28 against Rhode Island. Both games also start at 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS