GAME AT A GLANCE
Columbus: PP – O. Bjorkstrand (10), B. Jenner (13), Y. Chinakhov (2), O. Bjorkstrand (11)
New Jersey: N. Hischier (7), J. Vesey (6), M. Studenic (1)
Columbus: J. Korpisalo (27 saves, W)
New Jersey: M. Blackwood (30 saves, L)
CBJ TEAM NOTES
- CBJ snapped their three-game losing streak with tonight’s regulation win against New Jersey.
- The club improved to 6-2-1 in its last nine contests at Nationwide Arena.
- Columbus has points in 12 of the last 13 games in the series against the Devils (11-1-1) and is 20-4-1 in the past 25 meetings since Mar. 6, 2015. The Blue Jackets are 2-1-0 in the 2021-22 season series.
- The winning team has recorded 3+ goals in eight of the last nine games in the series.
- The Blue Jackets have won six-straight home games in the series dating back to Feb. 10, 2018 and are 10-2-0 in the last 12 contests at Nationwide Arena.
- Columbus has scored three-plus goals in 21 of its contests and four-plus goals in 15 of them (includes SO goals). The club is 13-2-0 when scoring four goals or more in a game this season.
- With Boqvist’s two assists tonight, CBJ rank ninth in the NHL in points (81) by defensemen.
CBJ PLAYER NOTES
· RW Oliver Bjorkstrand notched his third multi-goal game and eighth multi-point effort of the season with two goals and is tied for the team lead in scoring with 11-14-25 in 31 GP.
· C Boone Jenner scored his team-leading 13th goal of the campaign (13-8-21 in 33 GP).
· RW Jakub Voracek recorded his sixth multi-point/assist game of the season with two assists (1-24-25 in 33 GP). He is tied for the lead in the NHL in primary assists (20) after recording two tonight. The forward was honored in a pregame ceremony for skating in his 1,000th career NHL game on Thursday at New Jersey.
· RW Yegor Chinakhov scored his second goal of the campaign and first since Nov. 15 vs. Detroit. He has 2-3-5 in 24 outings this season.
· D Adam Boqvist tallied his third multi-point game of the season with two assists and has 1-4-5 in the last five games. He has also collected 6-7-13 in his last 14 games since Nov. 24.
· C Gustav Nyquist recorded an assist and has 3-3-6 with two multi-point outings in the last six games (7-9-16 in 33 GP).
· LW Patrik Laine registered an assist and has points in nine of his 14 appearances this season (4-8-12).
· LW Eric Robinson tallied an assist and has 3-6-9 in his last 11 outings (5-9-14 in 32 GP).
· C Sean Kuraly recorded his sixth assist of the campaign to give him 5-6-11 in 33 GP.
POST-GAME VIDEO INTERVIEWS
CBJ UPCOMING SCHEDULE
Sunday, January 9 No Practice
Monday, January 10 Practice – 11am ET at Nationwide Arena
Tuesday, January 11 vs Chicago – 7pm ET at Nationwide Arena
COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
2021-22 Record: 15-16-1, 31 pts. (7th, Metropolitan Division)
Goals: 3.09 Goals-For/3.56 Goals-Against… Shots: 29.3 Shots-For/35.0 Shots-Against
Power Play: 15.7 percent (27th, NHL)… Penalty Kill: 76.1 percent (25th, NHL)
Penalty Minutes: 7.0 PIM (2nd, NHL)… Overtime Record (Shootout): 7-0-1 (3-1)
NEW JERSEY DEVILS
2021-22 Record: 14-16-5, 33 pts. (5th, Metropolitan Division)
Goals: 2.89 Goals-For/3.37 Goals-Against… Shots: 31.6 Shots-For/30.7 Shots-Against
Power Play: 14.9 percent (30th, NHL)… Penalty Kill: 82.0 percent (11th, NHL)
Penalty Minutes: 8.4 PIM (13th, NHL)… Overtime Record (Shootout): 5-1-4 (1-4)
Players to Watch: LW Jesper Bratt leads the team in goals, assists and points with 10-22-32 in 34 games this season and has 2-6-7 in his last five outings… C Jack Hughes has posted a point-per-game in 2021-22 with 9-11-20 in 18 contests, including fou multi-point efforts and points in the last five-straight (4-8-12)… G Mackenzie Blackwood is 2-1-0 with a 1.75 GAA and .953 SV% in five career games vs. CBJ and 55-48-15 with a 2.89 GAA and .909 SV% in 126 career appearances ovrerall.
Results: Columbus has gone 25-14-3 in 42 all-time meetings, including 14-7-0 at home… Of Note: The clubs did not meet in 2020-21… CBJ went 2-0-1 vs. the Devils in 2019-20… The Blue Jackets had their 11-game points streak (10-0-1) snapped on Thursday with the 3-1 loss at New Jersey… CBJ are 19-4-1 against the Devils since Mar. 6, 2015… Columbus has won five-straight home games in the series dating back to Feb. 10, 2018 and is 9-2-0 against the club at Nationwide Arena since Mar. 31, 2015… New Jersey posted the first three shutouts in the all-time series while Columbus has recorded the past four (MR: Merzlikins, 41 saves in 5-0 win at CBJ on Jan. 18, 2020)… The Blue Jackets have been awarded all four penalty shots in the all-time series.
This Season (CBJ, 1-1-0)
Oct. 31, 2021 – Columbus 4, at New Jersey 3 (SO)
Jan. 6, 2022 – at New Jersey 3, Columbus 1
Jan. 8, 2022 – at Columbus (7 p.m.)
Mar. 1, 2022 – at Columbus (7 p.m.)
BLUE JACKETS SALUTE FIRST RESPONDERS
The Blue Jackets will celebrate First Responders Night, presented by Jets Pizza, with a multitude of game-night recognitions and themed attractions on Saturday. A portion of every theme ticket sold will be donated to the Columbus Firefighters Foundation and the Fraternal Order of Police. In addition, a joint Color Guard representing Delaware County Police and Fire Departments will accompany Blue Jackets singer Leo Welsh for the national anthem. The night will also see interactive opportunities located throughout the main concourse during the game.
CBJ TEAM NOTES
The Blue Jackets fell for the third-straight contest with a 3-1 loss at New Jersey on Thursday… With the loss, the club fell under .500 for the first time this season… CBJ have scored three or more goals in 20 of their 32 games this season (14-6-0)… The club is also 12-2-0 when scoring four-plus goals in a game in 2021-22… Columbus leads the NHL in win percentage in OT/SO and ranks second in wins with a 7-0-1 record (.875)… The club’s three shootout victories are also tied for most in the League… The Blue Jackets are in a stretch of five-of-six games played at home from Dec. 30-Jan. 11 with the lone road contest on Thursday at New Jersey… Columbus is 10-5-1 (21 pts.) at home this season and ranks seventh in the NHL in GF/GP at home (3.50)… CBJ have trailed in 10 of their 15 victories this season and the club’s five wins when trailing heading into the third period are the most in the NHL… The Blue Jackets rank fourth in goals (22) and seventh-T in the NHL in points (79) by defensemen this season.
CBJ PLAYER NOTES
RW Jakub Voracek will be honored with a pre-game ceremony on Saturday for becoming the 361st player in NHL history (358th skater) to play in 1,000 career games. He is the 12th Czech born player to accomplish the feat and is the fourth player to reach the milestone while in a Blue Jackets uniform, joining Sergei Fedorov (11/30/05 at MIN), Vinny Prospal (11/25/11 vs. BUF) and Scott Hartnell (2/9/15 vs. LAK). Selected seventh overall by CBJ in the 2007 NHL Draft, Voracek ranks ninth in the NHL in primary assists and assists (tied), 12th in power play assists and 16th in points with 217-544-761, 331 primary assists and 190 PPA since making his NHL debut in 2008-09. He ranks second-T in the NHL in primary assists (18) and 13th-T in PP assists (9) with 1-22-23 in 32 contests this season.
D Adam Boqvist had his three-game points streak snapped on Thursday (1-2-3). He trails only Colorado’s Cale Makar for most goals by a NHL blueliner since Nov. 24 with 6-5-11 in his last 13 games… RW Oliver Bjorkstrand leads the club in scoring and multi-point outings with 9-14-23 and seven multi-point efforts in 30 contests… C Max Domi tallied his eighth goal of the campaign on Thursday and has 8-8-16 in 22 appearances… D Vladislav Gavrikov has posted assists in three of the last four contests and has set a new single-season career high with 14 helpers (13, 2019-20)… C Boone Jenner has recorded 8-7-15 in the past 26 games and leads the team in goals (12) and power play goals (5)… LW Patrik Laine has points in eight of his 13 appearances this season (4-7-11)… LW Gus Nyquist has recorded 3-2-5 with two multi-point outings in the last five games… F Alexandre Texier, who missed the last two contests due to illness, has 4-5-9 with three multi-point efforts in eight games since Dec. 5… He leads the Blue Jackets in goals and points since Nov. 6 with 9-8-17 and is +6 in 21 games… D Zach Werenski, who has 1-2-3 in his last four games prior to missing Tuesday and Thursday due to COVID-protocol, ranks second-T in the NHL in TOI/GP (26:34).
• RW Oliver Bjorkstrand is eight goals from 100 for his NHL career (92-108-200, 332 GP).
• D Adam Boqvist is two games from 100 for his NHL career (13-28-41, 98 GP).
• C Max Domi is two goals from 100 and seven assists from 200 for his NHL career (98-193-291, 451 GP).
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
• D Gavin Bayreuther (COVID-19 protocol on Dec. 29)
• F Justin Danforth (knee; Injured Reserve on Dec. 31) is expected to miss 6 weeks
• G Elvis Merzlikins (lower body) is day-to-day
• G Daniil Tarasov (lower body; Injured Reserve on Jan. 4) is out indefinitely
• F Alexandre Texier (COVID-19 protocol on Jan. 7)
• D Zach Werenski (COVID-19 protocol on Jan. 3)
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 104
COURTESY CBJ COMMUNICATIONS