GAME AT A GLANCE
Columbus: PP – B. Jenner (3), C. Sillinger (1), P. Laine (2)
NY Islanders: S. Mayfield (1), M. Barzal (2)
Columbus: E. Merzlikins (34 saves, OTW)
NY Islanders: I. Sorokin (29 saves, OTL)
CBJ TEAM NOTES
- The Blue Jackets improved to 3-1-0 in tonight’s overtime win. It’s the sixth time Columbus has recorded six points in its first four games of a campaign (MR: 2018-19).
- With tonight’s overtime win, the Blue Jackets have won their first three home games of the campaign. It’s the third time in franchise history the club has started a season 3-0-0 at home (2009-10, 2003-04).
- CBJ improved to 6-1-1 over the past eight games vs. the Islanders at Nationwide Arena and have points in each of the last three meetings at home (2-0-1).
- The winning team in the series has scored three or more goals in 24 of the past 26 meetings.
- The Blue Jackets have scored a power play goal in all three games they have been awarded an opportunity (did not have an attempt on Oct. 16 vs. Seattle), scoring on 1-of-4 attempts tonight. CBJ are 4-of-11 on the power play on the campaign (36.4 pct.).
- Columbus have killed off 11-of-12 opponent power play opportunities over its first four contests (91.7 pct.), including all three attempts tonight.
- The Blue Jackets won their first game against a divisional opponent tonight. The club will play three of its next four games against a Metro division opponent (CAR, NYR, NJD).
CBJ PLAYER NOTES
· C Cole Sillinger scored his first career NHL goal and now has 1-1-2 in his first four career games. He finished with a team-high six shots on 17:17 of ice time.
· LW Patrik Laine scored the overtime winning goal for the second consecutive home game. It was his 20th career game-winner. He has collected points in all four outings in 2021-22 (2-3-5).
· C Boone Jenner scored his third goal of the season and has goals in two-straight contests.
· RW Oliver Bjorkstrand tallied his first three-assist game of the season and third of his career (MR: Mar. 18, 2021 at CAR). He increased his totals to a team-leading 2-5-7 in four appearances in 2021-22.
· RW Jakub Voracek recorded his fourth assist of the season on Jenner’s second period goal. He has points in two-straight games. He has collected 5-17-22 in his last 25 games vs. the Islanders.
· D Vladislav Gavrikov registered his third assist of the campaign on Sillinger’s second period tally (0-3-3 in four games).
· D Zach Werenski tallied an assist on Laine’s overtime goal. He has points in three-of-four games this season (1-3-4).
· G Elvis Merzlikins stopped 34-of-36 shots to improve to 3-0-0 this season.
POST-GAME VIDEO INTERVIEWS
CBJ UPCOMING SCHEDULE
Friday, October 22 Practice – 12pm ET at Nationwide Arena
Saturday, October 23 vs. Carolina Hurricanes – 7pm ET at Nationwide Arena
Sunday, October 24 Day Off
COURTESY CBJ COMMUNICATIONS