At Little Caesars Arena
*Goalie Joonas Korpisalo kept the team in the game and gave it a chance to win by making 41 saves on 43 shots against for a .953 save percentage
*Top performers: Boone Jenner with a goal; Adam Boqvist did well; Yegor Chinakhov had a solid NHL debut. The Russian forward, taken in the first round of the 2020 draft, skated an even 12:00 with two shots on goal, two more shot attempts and the penalty kill was at top speed killing all four penalties.
*Columbus chased the game from the opening faceoff. Detroit finished with a 45-23 edge in shots on goal and a 2.84-1.71 advantage on expected goals at 5-on-5, a mark that went up to 5.75-2.20 in all situations
Stats and Facts
- Columbus was shooting for the first-ever 3-0-0 start in franchise history but fell short. The Jackets were 2-0-0 for just the third time ever.
- With an assist on Jenner’s power-play goal, Voracek is now just two assists away from 100 in a CBJ sweater, with most of those dating back to his original stint with the Jackets.
- Only 23 of the Jackets’ 50 shot attempts in the game were on net, with 12 blocked and 15 missing the target.
- Chinakhov was the third player to make his NHL debut this season with the team, joining Sillinger and Gregory Hofmann. Boqvist, Jake Bean and Sean Kuraly also have made their CBJ debuts this season.
- Chinakhov became the 305th player all time to wear union blue, so maybe you can call him Mr. 305 — unless that’s already taken.
- The loss was Korpisalo’s first ever against the Red Wings, as he had been 6-0-0 in seven appearances.
- The two Columbus goalies have combined to allow just five goals on 101 shots against in three games, a .950 save percentage.
- After going 11-1-0 over a four-season span against Detroit, Columbus is now just 4-4-1 in the last nine games over the past two seasons against the Wings.
COURTESY BLUE JACKETS PRESSBOX.COM