Sat, Sep 18, 2021
Salukis Score The Most Points Against The Flyers Since 2012
CARBONDALE, Ill. – The University of Dayton football team went on the road to face the highest-rated team the Flyers had ever played, and Southern Illinois more than lived up to the billing, as the eighth-ranked Salukis cruised to a 55-3 win in Carbondale, Ill.
It was the most points scored against the Flyers since Indiana State scored 56 on Sept. 1, 2012, and the fewest scored by Dayton since a 19-3 loss to Wagner in the 1987 Division III national championship game on Dec. 12, 1987.
UD is now 1-1 on the season, while Southern is 2-1.
1st Quarter — Southern Illinois 10, Dayton 0
· Southern Illinois jumped out to a 10-0 lead on the strength of two long running plays.
· Justin Strong had a 40-yard run on SIU’s first play from scrimmage, leading to a 25-yard field goal by Nico Gualdoni with 7:58 left in the opening period.
· On SIU’s next series, Javon Williams Jr. ran 73 yards for a touchdown.
· Southern outgained Dayton 193-23 in total offense.
2nd Quarter — Southern Illinois 38, Dayton 0
· SIU exploded for 28 points in the quarter.
· Dayton’s first play in Saluki territory came at the 5:29 mark of the second quarter.
· The Flyers threatened to get in the board, but SIU’s Anthony Knighton blocked Sam Webster’s 37-yard field attempt.
· Southern held a 245-66 advantage in total offense in the quarter, leading to 438 yards vs. 89 yards gained in the first half.
3rd Quarter — Southern Illinois 48, Dayton 3
· SIU added another 120 yards in total offense, while UD had its most productive quarter, with 94 yards.
· The Flyers got on the board with a 15-play, 75-yard drive that ended on a Sam Webster 28-yard field goal.
4th Quarter — Southern Illinois 55, Dayton 3
· With both teams substituting liberally, the Salukis got another 100 yards while Dayton gained 35.
· The Salukis got the ball for the last time on their own 15 with 3:57 left in the game, moved into Dayton territory and then graciously took a knee three times to end the game.
BY THE NUMBERS
· Jack Cook was 14 of 24 for 131 yards in the game. He completed 10 of 15 passes in the third quarter.
· During the game, Cook moved into third place for career passing yards at Dayton (5,383). Will Bardo is second with 6,803, and the record holder is Kevin Hoyng with 8,862.
· Andrew Holder and Tyler Mintz each caught three passes. Holderer led with 37 yards.
· Jake Chisholm ran the ball 19 times for a tough 66 yards.
· Joe Bubonics led the Dayton defense with 11 tackles (10 solo) with a pass break up.
· Zack Rumpke had a sack among his eight tackles.
· Brandon Easterling also had eight hits.
· Webster’s field goal in the third quarter extended UD consecutive games-without-being -shutout streak to an active NCAA-best 489 games.
· The 52-point deficit was the most for a Dayton football team in 100 years. UD was beaten 78-0 by Bethany during the 1921 season.
· Dayton’s next game will be the 2021 Pioneer Football League opener.
· The Flyers will host new league member Presbyterian.
· It will the University’s Family Weekend Game, and the Flyers will also be observing the Hilinski’s Hope Foundation’s College Football Mental Health Week.
· Kickoff with the Blue Hose at Welcome Stadium is at 1 p.m. ET.
.COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS