Quarterback MATTHEW STAFFORD of the Los Angeles Rams, linebacker CHANDLER JONES of the Arizona Cardinals and punter BRADLEY PINION of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played on Kickoff Weekend 2021 (September 9, 12-13).
OFFENSE: QB MATTHEW STAFFORD, LOS ANGELES RAMS
- Making his Rams debut, Stafford completed 20 of 26 pass attempts (76.9 pct.) for 321 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions for a 156.1 rating in Los Angeles’ Sunday Night Football victory over Chicago.
- This is Stafford’s second-career Offensive Player of the Week Award (2009, Week 11).
- He becomes the first former Georgia Bulldog quarterback to win the award multiple times.
DEFENSE: LB CHANDLER JONES, ARIZONA CARDINALS
- Jones registered six tackles, five sacks, four tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in a historic Kickoff Weekend performance, becoming the third player since 1982 to record at least five sacks in Week 1.
- This is the fifth-career Player of the Week Award for Jones and fourth with the Cardinals:
- 2014: Week 2
- 2018: Week 5
- 2019: Weeks 7, 16
- 2021: Week 1
- Jones ties Adrian Wilson (four) for the most-ever Defensive Player of the Year Awards by a Cardinal.
- Jones joins Dwight Freeney (six) as the only former Syracuse players to earn Defensive Player of the Week five times.
SPECIAL TEAMS: P BRADLEY PINION, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
- In the league’s annual primetime Kickoff game on Thursday against Dallas, Pinion’s four punts averaged 49.3 yards, with a net average of 45.8. Three of his four punts landed inside the 10-yard line.
- This is the second-career Player of the Week Award for Pinion (Week 9, 2018) and first with the Buccaneers.
- Pinion becomes the first Tampa Bay punter to earn the honor since Bryan Anger (Week 17, 2016).
- He joins Chris Gardocki (two) as the only former Clemson Tiger punters to earn the award multiple times.