Ohio State takes on Memphis Friday, UAB Sunday
Ohio State vs. Memphis, UAB
Dates: Aug. 27, Aug. 29
Times: 7 p.m., 5 p.m.
Venue: Columbus, Ohio – Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium
Watch: B1G+ Memphis | B1G+ UAB
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | Memphis | UAB
Rosters: Ohio State | Memphis | UAB
Season Stats: Ohio State | Memphis | UAB
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State opens the fall 2021 season this weekend in the annual Wolstein Classic, now in its 15th season at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The Buckeyes face Memphis in the season opener Friday (7 p.m.) following the game between Dayton and UAB at 4 p.m. The Buckeyes take on UAB at 5 p.m. Sunday while Memphis and Dayton battle in an 11 a.m. contest.
- Senior Samual Buzzas and sophomore Laurence Wootton were named captains of the 2021 Buckeyes Wednesday.
- Sophomores Deylen Vellios and Laurence Wootton along with senior Xavier Green were named 2021 Big Ten Players to Watch Aug. 23 following a vote by the Big Ten Coaches prior to the season.
- Ohio State returns all 12 players with points from the 2021 Spring season, including all eight goal scorers.
- Laurence Wootton and Parker Grinstead led the Buckeyes offensively last spring and both were members of the Big Ten All-Freshman team. Wootton was named First Team All-Big Ten and was named the league’s 2021 Freshman of the Year.
- Three Buckeyes elected to use the extra year of eligibility afforded by the NCAA because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Samual Buzzas, Joe Ortiz and Noah Lawrence return to the Ohio State roster for the extra year.
- Ohio State is playing its fourth season under head coach Brian Maisonneuve.
- Maisonneuve was associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996-2004.
- This year marks the 15th season in which the Wolstein Classic has been held on the Ohio State campus. The Buckeyes are 21-14-7 all-time in the event.
- Ohio State holds a 117-65-31 record in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium since the facility opened in 1999.
- The Buckeyes are 1-0-0 vs. Memphis and are meeting UAB for the first time.
News and Nuggets
- Academically in 2020-21, the Buckeyes placed 26 players on the OSU Scholar Athlete list, 16 were named Academic All-Big Ten and three were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholar list.
- Keagan McLaughlin begins his Ohio State career following a transfer from Notre Dame after three years in an Irish uniform. The Zanesville, Ohio, native will battle for playing time at the keeper position.
- Ohio State has not played a non-conference game since Oct. 16, 2019 at Kentucky. The Buckeyes played a Big Ten only schedule in the spring.
The People. The Tradition. The Excellence.