(July 26, 2021)
Award recognizes the nation’s top defensive back
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State senior safety Jaquan Brisker has been named to the Paycom Jim Thorpe Award Preseason Watch List, it was announced on Monday.
This list includes 40 of the nation’s best defensive backs, representing 10 conferences and one independent. The preseason watch list is selected by a screening committee whose members compile a list of up to 50 players.
- Has played in 22 career games, making nine starts.
- Earned All-American first team honors from Pro Football Focus in 2020.
- Was an honorable mention All-American by Phil Steele.
- Named an All-Big Ten third team selection by the coaches and honorable mention by the media.
- Garnered Pro Football Focus All-Big Ten first team honors.
- Earned Phil Steele All-Big Ten second team laurels.
- Tallied six pass breakups in 2020, good for a tie for seventh in the Big Ten.
- Seven passes defended were tied for 11th in the league.
- Finished 12th in the Big Ten for solo tackles (33).
- Was 15th in the conference in total tackles (57) and third among defensive backs
A preseason watch list is compiled by the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame based on previous performance and preseason All-America lists. A screening committee consisting of OSHOF members monitor the watch list players and narrow the field to 10 to 15 semifinalists in October. This committee reconvenes on the Monday before Thanksgiving to select three award finalists. The three finalists are submitted to a national panel of over 250 sports writers, sportscasters, former players and coaches who vote to determine the winner of the Paycom Jim Thorpe Award.
The winner will be announced at The Home Depot College Football Awards Show.
Penn State Football Preseason Honors/Watch Lists
Jaquan Brisker: Bednarik Award, Jim Thorpe Award
Sean Clifford: Allstate Good Works Team Nominee
Noah Cain: Doak Walker Award
Jahan Dotson: Maxwell Award, Biletnikoff Award, Big Ten Player to Watch
James Franklin: Dodd Trophy
Keyvone Lee: Doak Walker Award
John Lovett: Doak Walker Award
Jesse Luketa: Butkus Award
Brandon Smith: Butkus Award
Brenton Strange: Mackey Award
Penn State’s season opener on Sept. 4 at Wisconsin will kick off at noon on FOX. The Nittany Lions will make their return to Beaver Stadium on Sept. 11 vs. Ball State, a 3:30 p.m. ET start on FS1. Penn State’s 2021 schedule with updated kick times and TV designations can be found here: https://bit.ly/3fVFuhc.
The 2021 Penn State Football season is presented by PSECU.
COURTESY PENN STATE ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS