The Washington Nationals announced the following roster moves on Thursday. Nationals President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Mike Rizzo made the announcements:
• Recalled infielder Luis García from Triple-A Rochester
• Recalled right-handed pitcher Andres Machado from Triple-A Rochester
• Reinstated catcher Yan Gomes from the 10-day Injured List
• Reinstated right-handed pitcher Tanner Rainey from the 10-day Injured List
• Placed catcher Alex Avila, right-handed pitcher Daniel Hudson, infielder Trea Turner and right-handed pitcher Austin Voth on the Injured List
• Optioned catcher Tres Barrera to Triple-A Rochester on Wednesday
García, 21, hit .303 with three doubles, 13 home runs, 25 RBI, 15 walks, one stolen base and 26 runs scored in 37 games with Triple-A Rochester. His career-high 13 home runs are tied for the most in Washington’s Minor League system despite playing in just 37 games. Six of his home runs this season have been leadoff home runs.
This will be García’s fourth Major League stint this season. He is 4-for-18 (.222) with a triple, two walks and three runs scored in 11 games across three previous stints.
Machado, 28, returns to the Nationals for his fifth Major League stint this season. He has appeared in six games for Washington, going 0-0 with a 6.35 ERA.
Gomes, 34, returns to the active roster after being placed on the Injured List on July 10 with a right oblique strain. He hit .266 with 11 doubles, one triple, eight homers, 33 RBI, 13 walks and 29 runs scored in 61 games prior to being placed on the Injured List.
Rainey, 28, was placed on the 10-day Injured List on June 29 with a stress reaction in his right tibia. He went 1-2 with a 6.93 ERA and 31 strikeouts in 30 games out of Washington’s bullpen prior to being placed on the Injured list.
COURTESY NATIONALS MEDIA RELATIONS