Billye Aaron and Family Will Be in Denver to Celebrate His Life and Legacy
DENVER – The world lost the great Henry “Hank” Aaron upon his passing in January 2021, but his inspirational life and legacy will be celebrated at Coors Field during All-Star Week on Monday, July 12th and Tuesday, July 13th. Aaron’s wife, Billye, and other members of the Aaron family will attend Gatorade All-Star Workout Day (Monday) and the 91st MLB All-Star Game presented by Mastercard (Tuesday) as the Baseball Family honors one of the game’s all-time greats. Today during Workout Day, including the T-Mobile Home Run Derby, all MLB players will wear uniform #44 in honor of Aaron, who retired as the MLB career home run leader. On Tuesday, a video tribute will be played in Coors with Billye participating in a special pregame presentation.
Additional ceremonial activities for the T-Mobile Home Run Derby and All-Star Game include the following:
- Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. will be part of the trophy presentation of the T-Mobile Home Run Derby.
- Former Denver Broncos Quarterback and Pro Football Hall of Famer Peyton Manning will join Rockies Legend and Five-Time MLB All-Star Todd Helton in participating in the ceremonial first pitch before Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- In addition to honoring Aaron, MLB will play a tribute video at Coors Field during the All-Star Game remembering the Hall of Fame members we lost in 2020 and 2021.
- Another special video will be played to highlight the 1971 All-Star Game featuring 26 future Hall of Famers, including Hank Aaron.
- During the All-Star Game, MLB, Stand Up To Cancer, Mastercard and FOX will continue the extraordinary Midsummer Classic tradition of players, coaches, manages, umpires and fans in attendance at Coors Field standing together in the fight against cancer. This moment will take place at the end of the 5th inning, and all are welcome fans around the world are encouraged to participate.
- As previously announced, the National Anthems for Monday and Tuesday will include –
- Monday – Three-time Grammy Award nominee recording artists, The Avett Brothers, will perform the National Anthem prior to the 2021 T-Mobile Home Run Derby from Denver’s iconic Red Rocks Amphitheatre to showcase the natural beauty of Colorado and the Rocky Mountain region.
- Tuesday – Grammy Award-winning and Tony nominated actor, Christopher Jackson, will perform the National Anthem, while multi-platinum Canadian country artist, Jess Moskaluke, will sing the Canadian National Anthem, at the 91st MLB All-Star Game presented by Mastercard.
- All-Star Game pageantry –
- Flyover: 4 F-16s of 140th Wing at Buckley Space Force Base in Aurora, Colorado
- Armed Forces Color Guard from the Military District of Washington and drummers from The Third U.S. Infantry Regiment Fife and Drum Corp
- Giant US Flag held by Rockies’ season ticketholders
COURTESY MLB MEDIA RELATIONS