After a three-week break since their last outing, Chicago Fire FC return to action tonight as they take on the Columbus Crew in the last-ever match Historic Crew Stadium.
In front of what will likely be a full capacity crowd for the occasion, the Fire will look to play spoiler and pick up their first road win of the 2021 campaign against the reigning MLS Cup champions. The Crew enter the match sitting in sixth place in the Eastern Conference standings, with a 2-0-1 record at home.
Fans are invited to tune into play-by-play commentator Arlo White’s broadcast debut for the Fire, when he joins U.S. Soccer Hall of Famer Tony Meola in the booth at at 6:30 p.m. CT on WGN-TV and CFFC Live.
With kickoff an hour away, get the details on head coach Raphael Wicky’s starting XI to take on Columbus below:
- The Fire will start with four changes to the starting XI from their last outing against CF Montréal on May 29.
- Defender Carlos Terán will make his first career start for the Fire since arriving late in the 2020 season. He’ll lineup in central defense next to captain Francisco Calvo, who returns to the Fire following time with the Costa Rica Men’s National Team at the Concacaf Nations League tournament.
- Midfielder Ignacio Aliseda gets his first Fire start of the 2021 campaign, having returned from injury as a substitute last time out against Montréal. He’ll take up a wide role in midfield in lieu of Przemysław Frankowski’s absence due to his participation in the UEFA EURO 2020 tournament with Poland.
- Forward Chinonso Offor returns to the starting lineup for the first time since the Fire’s April 24 visit to Atlanta United, and earns his third start and eighth appearance overall for the Club in his debut season in Chicago.
- Mauricio Pineda also makes a return to Wicky’s opening XI, slotting into midfield alongside Álvaro Medrán. Tonight will be Medrán’s 30th start for the Fire and 31st overall appearance since joining the Club in 2020.
- 18-year-old Homegrown product Brian Gutiérrez gets his fourth straight start in midfield, lining up opposite Aliseda out wide.
- Fabian Herbers completes the midfield and earns his 50th career start and 95th overall appearance in MLS since coming into the league with the Philadelphia Union in 2016.
- Fullbacks Boris Sekulić and Miguel Navaro join Calvo and Terán on the back line, picking up their 29th and 25th career appearances for the Fire.
- Goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth completes the defensive unit, earning the 210th MLS regular season appearance of his lengthy career.
- Available to Wicky as substitutions tonight are goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina, defender Jhon Espinoza, defender Wyatt Omsberg, defender Jonathan Bornstein, defender Johan Kappelhof, midfielder Luka Stojanović, midfielder Elliot Collier, midfielder Alex Monis, and forward Robert Berić.
- Frankowski (Poland) and midfielder Gastón Giménez (Paraguay) are unavailable for selection tonight due to international duty.
- Midfielder Stanislav Ivanov (left knee) and goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm (right knee) are out due to injury for tonight’s match.
COURTESY CHICAGO FIRE FC COMMUNICATIONS