Ten #NHLStats about the Vegas Golden Knights, who are headed to the postseason for the fourth time in as many NHL seasons.
1. Vegas is the fourth franchise in NHL history to make the playoffs in each of its first four seasons, following the Edmonton Oilers (13; 1980–1992), New York Rangers (9; 1927–1935) and St. Louis Blues (6; 1968–1973). Each club did so under different rules and circumstances, with only Vegas and Edmonton achieving the feat after the 1967-68 expansion season.
2. In 2020, Vegas became the third franchise in League history to earn at least one series win in two of its first three seasons and the first to reach the Conference Finals at least twice in its first three campaigns. The Golden Knights (5-3) now have as many or more series wins as five active NHL franchises.
3. Marc-Andre Fleury can pass Tony Esposito and become the first goaltender in NHL history – and 21st player at any position – to skate in 15 consecutive postseasons. Only four goaltenders in League history have made 15 playoff appearances at any point in their careers.
4. Marc-Andre Fleury is the League’s active leader in playoff wins (81) and games played (146). He is in position to tie Grant Fuhr (150 GP) for fourth place in history for games played among goaltenders and within reach of equaling Billy Smith and Ed Belfour – who each have 88 wins – for fourth place in career playoff victories.
5. Vegas has the goaltending tandem with the most playoff experience in the NHL (172 GP), with Robin Lehner (26 GP) playing the bulk of games in the 2020 postseason (16 of 20 games). Lehner matched the NHL record for shutouts in a single playoff series, blanking the Vancouver Canucks three times in the 2020 Second Round.
6. The Vegas roster includes four Stanley Cup champions: Marc-Andre Fleury (2009 PIT, 2016 PIT, 2017 PIT), Alec Martinez (2012 LAK, 2014 LAK), Alex Pietrangelo (2019 STL) and Chandler Stephenson (2018 WSH). Fleury is one of eight active NHL players – and the only active goaltender – with his name on the Cup at least three times; he can become the 13th netminder in NHL history to have his name engraved four or more times.
7. Ten current Golden Knights players helped the club reach the 2018 Final: William Carrier, Marc-Andre Fleury, William Karlsson, Jonathan Marchessault, Brayden McNabb, TomasNosek, Ryan Reaves, Reilly Smith, Shea Theodore and Alex Tuch.
8. Reilly Smith is one of seven players to play in all 47 postseason games in Golden Knights history and is the franchise leader in playoff assists (31) and points (42). Only 18 players in League history have skated in each of a franchise’s first 50 all-time playoff games; Daniel Alfredsson (99 GP with OTT) is the only player to do so for a club that joined the NHL in the 1990s or later.
9. Vegas will enter the playoffs with a designated captain for the first time, with Mark Stone donning the “C” after collecting 13-16—29 through 27 postseason games with the club. Stone ranks among the top 10 in the NHL for playoff points since 2019 when he joined the Golden Knights.
10. Max Pacioretty leads all current Vegas players with 20 career postseason goals (61 GP), half of which have come across 23 playoff games with the Golden Knights (also 10 G in 38 GP w/ MTL).