F | Gr.Sr. | 6-7 | 230 | Buffalo Grove, Ill. | Stevenson HS / Indiana
• Rated the 11th-best Graduate Transfer in the Nation by TheStadium.com
• Rated the 22nd-best Graduate Transfer in the Nation by ESPN.com
• Graduated in just three years from Indiana’s Kelley School of Business (B.S.B.) in the Spring of 2020.
• Is pursuing his master’s in operations management at the University of Arkansas.
• Played in all of Indiana’s 98 games (with 73 starts) over the past three years … In his three-year career, scored 821 points with 419 rebounds, 64 assists, 60 steals and 35 blocked shots … Has four career double-doubles.
Senior (2020-21 at Arkansas):
Smith Helps 2nd Half Success Over Last 15 Games
• Justin Smith has been a key factor for the Hogs going 13-2 over the last 15 games. Specifically, he has played well in
the second halves of those games.
• In the SEC quarterfinal win over Mizzou, Smith scored 13 of his 16 points in the second half, making 6-of-7 FG and he
grabbed all eight of his rebounds in the frame.
• In the SEC semifinal loss to LSU, Smith scored 15 of his 21 points in the second alf, making 7-of-9 FG.
• In the NCAA 1st round win over Colgate, Smith scored 18 of his 27 and had 7 of his 12 rebounds in the seocnd half.
SMITH BY HALF THE LAST 15 GAMES
1st HALF: team’s 4th-best 5.0 ppg 44.8 FG% 3.6 rpg 22 assists 8 BLK 7 steals
2nd HALF: team’s-best 9.9 ppg 69.2 FG% 3.7 rpg 11 assists 2 BLK 13 steals
The Smith Factor … Playing “Next-Level Basketball”
• Here is a breakdown (WITH TWO CAVEATS) to show the team’s success with a “healthy” Justin Smith … remember,
everything in this note centers around the following……
- Even though Justin Smith started and played at Alabama, he was not effective and probably should have waited one
more game so I’m not counting that game
- I am not counting any games prior to opening league play (Dec. 30) at Auburn. I am including the Oklahoma State.
• Team “with” Justin Smith: 13-1 …. 1-4 “without.” Now, in reality for the year, Arkansas is 22-3 (even with
Alabama loss) and 1-3 without (losses to #12 Missouri, at #9 Tennessee and at #24 Alabama)
• Muss says Smith is playing “next-level basketball” and,considering the two caveats above…..
^ With a healthy Smith, Arkansas averages 3.0 more assists (14.8 to 11.8) and 2.2 less turnovers (13.4 to 15.2)
^ With a healthy Smith, Arkansas is shooting 46.2% as a team and shot 39.2% without Smith
^ With a healthy Smith, Arkansas is scoring 81.8 ppg as a team and 75.2 ppg without Smith.
^ With a healthy Smith, Arkansas is allowing 71.1 ppg as a team and 82.2 ppg without Smith.
• There is “zero” coincidence that Arkansas won 12 straight SEC games thanks to #0 ….
a “healthy” Justin Smith.
• Smith was injured in the first half of the SEC season-opening win at Auburn and had
ankle surgery the next day (Jan. 1). Arkansas lost three of the next four games with
Smith sidelined and dropped a decision at Alabama with a limited Smith back in the
lineup — 14 days after his surgery.
• Since that Alabama game. Arkansas was 13-2 over the last 14. The Hogs are 22-3 with
Smith in the starting lineup (lost at Alabama in perhaps a premature return to the
lineup, lost a four-point game at Oklahoma State – game was tied with 30 seconds to
go and lost a six-point game to LSU in the SEC semis – a game Arkansas was down 1
with 37 seconds left).
• Over the last 15 games, Smith is averaging 15.2 ppg and 7.5 rpg while shooting
59.4% from the field. His 34 assists rank second-most on the team over the
span and his 20 steals rank third.
• Vs Mississippi State, Smith had a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
• At Oklahoma State, Smith led the team in scoring (18), rebounds (7) and
assists, tying his career-high.
• At Missouri, Smith led the team in scoring (19) and rebounds (6) and tied for
the team lead in assists (3).
• Vs Florida, Smith had 15 points (7=9 FG) with six rebounds and career-highs
in steals (5) and assists (4).
• Vs Alabama, Smith had a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds.
• Vs LSU, Smith recorded his second-straight double-double (19 pts & 10 reb)
• At South Carolina, Smith had 22 points and 8 rebounds.
• Had 21 points and 8 rebounds in the SEC quarterfinal win over Missouri with
three assists and two steals
• Added 21 points (10-of-13 FG) and seven rebounds vs LSU in the SEC semis.
• Versus Colgate, had a career-high 27 points — making a career-high 11-of-13 at
the free throw line — while tying a career-high with five steals … He added 12
rebounds for his fifth double-double this season.
Junior (2019-20 at Indiana):
Started all 32 games … Led the team in steals (31) and minutes played (971) … Averaged 10.4 points and tied for second on the team with 5.2 rebounds per game … Named IU’s athletic department’s Male Student-Athlete of the Month for January … Tied his career-high with 24 points and with a career-high three steals, adding seven boards, against Western Illinois … Notched 18 points and eight rebounds (five offensive) against Portland State … Scored a team-high 22 points in a win over Troy, making 8-of-9 field goals, both of his 3-point attempts and all four free throw attempts while tying a career-high with three steals … Finished with 18 points and eight boards against South Dakota State … Posted another solid effort with 14 points and five rebounds against Florida State … Logged a double-double with 16 points and 10 boards against Nebraska … Pulled down eight rebounds against Arkansas … Finished with 18 points, six rebounds and three steals against Northwestern … Posted a team-high 15 points with seven boards at Rutgers … Tallied 15 points, seven rebounds and two assists at Nebraska … Finished with 13 points and seven rebounds at Penn State … Only had six points with seven boards but was credited with playing lock-down defense against Iowa … Also played outstanding defense and with nine points, eight boards and two steals against Penn State … Had 12 points and six rebounds against Nebraska in the Big Ten Tournament.
Sophomore (2018-19 at Indiana):
Earned 2019 Academic All-Big Ten … Played in all 35 games and started 32 times … Fifth on the team averaging 8.2 points and third on the team averaging 4.5 rebounds … Added 22 steals … Pulled down nine rebounds at Penn State and versus Louisville and versus Michigan … Posted a season-high 15 points and added six boards at Purdue … Had two double-doubles for the season … The first was scoring 10 points and tying a career-high with 12 rebounds at Northwestern … The second was at Michigan – and perhaps his best overall game as a Hoosier – as he scored 13 points with 10 rebounds while adding two assists and three blocks, including a game-saving deflection with 3.4 seconds left on a layup … Recorded a career-high 24 points against Michigan State, hitting a career-best three 3-pointers … Had 15 points and seven boards at Illinois … Tallied a career-high three assists against Rutgers … Just missed another double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds against St. Francis in the NIT.
Freshman (2017-18 at Indiana):
Emerged as the top freshman to help the Hoosiers … Played in all 31 games and started 9 times … Averaged 6.5 points and shot 55.0% from the floor … Third on the team in scoring in Big Ten play, averaging 7.8 points … Shot 55.3% from the field in conference play … Notched his first career double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds against Howard … Made his first career start at Seton Hall and had 10 points with four rebounds … Logged his second career start at Minnesota and finished with a season-high 20 points … Knocked in a go-ahead triple in the closing minutes versus the Gophers … Finished with 13 points and three rebounds in 13 minutes against Illinois … Had 15 points and three rebounds at Iowa … Tallied 16 points and eight rebounds at Nebraska … Scored 16 points against Ohio State.
A 2017 graduate of Adlai Stevenson High School … Ranked No. 91 overall in the class by Rivals.com … As a senior, averaged 21 points and nearly 10 rebounds … Logged 16 double-doubles during his senior year … Received second team All-State for Class 4A by the Associated Press … Two-time Lake County Player of the Year by the Daily Herald … During his junior year, posted averages of 17 points, eight rebounds and two assists … Helped Stevenson to the Illinois state title as a sophomore … Played AAU basketball for the Mac Irvin Fire program.
Born Mar. 1, 1999, in Highland Park, Ill. … Son of Edward and Lucy Smith … Has two sisters, Devin and Meredith.
COURTESY ARKANSAS ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS