Fri, Mar 12, 2021
Single elimination tournament held on Notre Dame campus starting Sunday
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio State men’s hockey team heads to Notre Dame, Ind., for the Big Ten Tournament this weekend. No. 6 seed Ohio State will take on No. 3 seed and No. 6/7-ranked Michigan at 8:30 p.m. Sunday in the final quarterfinal of the day. No. 2 Minnesota vs. No. 7 Michigan State and No. 4 Notre Dame vs. No. 5 Penn State are the other matchups. No. 1 Wisconsin earned a bye to the semifinals.
The winner of the game between the Buckeyes and Wolverines will face the MINN/MSU winner at 8:30 p.m. Monday. The championship is slated for 8 p.m. Tuesday.
All Big Ten Tournament games will be televised by BTN and Ohio State games will be on Ohio State Radio, with Herb Howenstine and John Mowat calling the action.
Buckeye Notes to Know
· The game Sunday is the second between Ohio State and Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament.
· The Buckeyes won a semifinal game in overtime in 2018 in Nationwide Arena in Columbus, with Matthew Weis scoring the gamewinner. Ohio State lost at Notre Dame in overtime in the tournament final.
· The programs were slated to meet in the 2020 semifinals in Columbus before the remainder of the season was canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
· Last season, the Buckeyes swept Wisconsin (9-1, 2-1 OT) in the quarterfinal round before the remainder of the tournament was canceled.
· Ohio State is looking for its first Big Ten Tournament title. It has reached the championship game twice, with two overtime losses – to Wisconsin in 2014 in Saint Paul, Minn., and at Notre Dame in 2018. The squad has two conference postseason tournament titles, winning the CCHA in 1972 and 2004.
· The Buckeyes were 1-3 against Michigan during the regular season, falling twice in Ann Arbor (2-4, 0-5) and splitting in Columbus (3-2, 0-6).
· All-time in Big Ten Tournament play, the Buckeyes are 10-6 (5-0 vs. MSU, 2-2 vs. UW, 1-1 vs. PSU, 1-0 vs. UM, 0-1 vs. ND and 1-2 vs. MINN), with a 5-4 neutral site record.
· The Buckeyes have played three postseason tournament games at Notre Dame, dropping two games of a CCHA Tournament first round series to the Irish in 2011 and losing in overtime in the 2018 B1G Tournament championship game.
· In the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals, Ohio State is 8-0, with four wins when the tournament was single elimination at neutral sites and sweeps of Michigan State (2018) and Wisconsin (2020) in best-of-three series in Columbus.
· Freshman Travis Treloar leads the Buckeyes with 20 points this season, including a team-best eight goals. He is the first Buckeye rookie with 20+ points since Tanner Laczynski had 32 in 2016-17.
· Of the current Buckeyes, Austin Pooley has played a team-high seven Big Ten Tournament games. Quinn Preston has two goals and four points (in three games) to lead the current Buckeyes in goals and points in B1G postseason play and Pooley and Tate Singleton (two games played) each have three assists. Tommy Nappier has three Big Ten Tournament starts and appearances, with a 2.04 goals-against average, .938 save percentage and 2-1-0 record.
COURTESY OHIO STATE ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS