Flyers Are The Tournament’s Seventh Seed
DAYTON – The University of Dayton Flyers travel to Richmond, Va. for the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championships. The Flyers, the tournament’s seventh seed, will play their first game against 10 seed Rhode Island on Thursday, March 4. Game time is 3:30 p.m. ET.
Dayton is 13-8, and finished 9-7 in the Atlantic 10 after Monday’s 55-52 win at A-10 regular season champion St. Bonaventure. Ibi Watson led UD with 14 points (5-7 FG, 2-3 3-pt.).
The game will carried by WHIO Radio, televised on the NBC Sports Network and streamed on the NBC Sports App. Streaming audio, video and stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Moving into a bigger role this year, Jalen Crutcher got the kind of attention during the preseason that he is getting from opponents during the season. He was on the Naismith, Wooden, NABC and Bob Cousy Award Watch Lists, as well as the Lute Olson mid-season list.
• Crutcher, a four-year starter, was ranked the 12th-best player in the country by ESPN, 16th in CBSSports.com’s top college basketball players. The Athletic rated him sixth among its top 20 guards in the country. He was also named Second Team Preseason All-America by Stadium.
• Keep in mind that Crutcher was UD’s co-MVP last season, with consensus national PoY Obi Toppin. Crutcher is the first Flyer with 1,200 career points, 500 assists and 200 three-pointers.
• Crutcher lived up to his nickname of “Clutcher” in Dayton’s first six wins, scoring UD’s final points in the last seconds of regulation or overtime at the line. At Saint Louis, he scored 13 in the first half, was shut out for the first 15:59 of the second half, and then after Saint Louis tied the game, he scored 14 points in the final 4:01 to pave the way to a five-point road win.
• Ibi Watson is second on the team in scoring (15.6) and minutes (37.5), and percentage-wise, is nearly a 50-40-80 guy. He shoots 47% FG, 42% from 3-pt. and 75% from the line.
• Rodney Chatman returned to action at Rhode Island, after missing 11 games with a torn tendon in his right hand. He started in the SLU win, getting nine points and five assists.
• Zimi Nwokeji’s 29-point outburst at Rhode Island was the second-most in UD history, and the most in more than 25 years. (Shawn Haughn had 30 vs. SLU on 2/13/94).
•If a “true freshman” is a player who signed the previous year and is playing without redshirting, can you call a player who signed in November and scores 22 points in December start a “truer freshman?” We call him Mustapha Amzil, and the 22 points he scored in first college game were the most at UD in 14 years. He then had 15 vs. GMU (with 6 reb & 4 asst).
• Amzil was A-10 Rookie of the Week exactly 50 days after he signed with UD on Nov. 16.
• He was named A-10 Rookie for the third time (the first multiple RotW this year) on Feb. 8.
• Jordy Tshimanga pulled down 16 rebounds at Fordham, the most by a Flyer in three years. He is averaging 8.9 rebounds a game in his last 12 contests.
• R.J. Blakney has scored 24 points (9-11 FG) and grabbed 11 rebounds in his last two games.
• The Flyers are 9-3 against teams with winning records, and 4-5 vs. foes with losing records.
• Thursday’s winner will play 2-seed VCU on Friday at 3:30 p.m. ET in the A-10 quarterfinals.
• The A-10 championship finals will be played at UD Arena on Sunday, March 14. A limited number of upper Arena tickets are on sale now.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS