Feb. 28, 2021
Ohio State suffers first Big Ten loss
COLUMBUS, Ohio – In a match that came down to a third-set tiebreaker on court one, the No. 8-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team fell to Michigan, 4-3, Sunday in the Ty Tucker Tennis Center. The loss was the first for the Buckeyes in Big Ten play (5-1) and the team is now 8-3 overall. The Wolverines improve to 6-0 in the B1G and 6-1 overall.
The Buckeyes hit the road for their next three matches, playing at Nebraska Friday, Iowa Sunday and Penn State March 14.
· For the sixth match in a row, the Buckeyes won the doubles point, cruising to 6-1 wins on courts two and three.
· Court two was the first done, with Lucia Marzal and Lisa Hofbauer defeating Andrea Cerdan and Alyvia Jones. The tandem of Marzal and Hofbauer is 4-0 in dual matches this spring.
· Court three sealed the doubles point, with Luna Dormet and Irina Cantos Siemers topping Kari Miller and Gala Mesochoritou. The Buckeye duo is 4-0 in dual matches this season.
· On court one, the Wolverine tandem of Chiara Lommer and Jaedan Brown led Buckeyes Isabelle Boulais and Kolie Allen 5-0 when the doubles point was clinched.
· Michigan won the first three singles matches to take a 3-1 lead.
· On court four, No. 71 Cerdan defeated Allen, 6-1, 6-2, and on court three No. 101 Jones was a 6-2, 6-3 winner over Hofbauer. Allen’s loss ended a four-match winning streak.
· Mesochoritou prevailed in a close match against Dormet on court six, 7-5, 7-5, winning the final three games for the Wolverines’ third team point. The loss was Dormet’s first this year; she is now 9-1 overall and 7-1 in dual matches.
· Buckeye sophomore Marzal won in three sets on court five against Brown. Marzal took the first set, 6-4, before Brown claimed the second, 6-2. In the third set Marzal took control, dropping just one game to make the team score 3-2. Marzal is 10-2 overall this season, tying for the team lead in wins, and a Buckeye-best 8-1 in dual matches, with a 5-0 B1G mark.
· Boulais followed with a victory on court two. After winning the first set against Lommer, 6-4, the second went to a tiebreaker after the Wolverines broke with OSU serving 5-6. In the tiebreaker Lommer won the first point but Boulais won the next seven for the set and the match, tying the team score at three. The junior has a 6-2 mark in dual play and is 5-1 in B1G action.
· On court one, No. 78 Cantos Siemers won the first set against Kari Miller, 6-2, with the Wolverine taking the second by the same score. In the third, Cantos Siemers climbed out of a 5-2 hole to tie the match at 5-all. The players traded breaks to send the match to a tiebreaker. In the tiebreaker Miller prevailed 7-2 for the Wolverine team win. The sophomore is 7-3 in dual matches this year.
Tennis Match Results
Michigan vs Ohio State
Feb 28, 2021 at Columbus, Ohio
(Ty Tucker Tennis Center)
Michigan 4, #8 Ohio State 3
1. Kari Miller (MICH) def. #78 Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Isabelle Boulais (OSU) def. Chiara Lommer (MICH) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
3. #101 Alyvia Jones (MICH) def. Lisa Hofbauer (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. #71 Andrea Cerdan (MICH) def. Kolie Allen (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Lucia Marzal (OSU) def. Jaedan Brown (MICH) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
6. Gala Mesochoritou (MICH) def. Luna Dormet (OSU) 7-5, 7-5
1. Isabelle Boulais/Kolie Allen (OSU) vs. Chiara Lommer/Jaedan Brown (MICH) 0-5, unfinished
2. Lucia Marzal/Lisa Hofbauer (OSU) def. Andrea Cerdan/Alyvia Jones (MICH) 6-1
3. Luna Dormet/Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) def. Kari Miller/Gala Mesochoritou (MICH) 6-1
Michigan 6-1 (6-0 B1G)
Ohio State 8-3 (5-1 B1G); National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,3,6,5,2,1)
Official: Julio Colon T-2:45 A-53
The People. The Tradition. The Excellence.
COURTESY OHIO STATE ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS