HEAD COACH SHAUNA GREEN TALKS ABOUT THE SEASON DEALING WITH COVID-19, TAKING A MONTH OFF BUT TEAM IS STILL WINNING GAMES.
62 VCU 9-9,7-4 Atlantic 10
67 Dayton 12-1,11-0 Atlantic 10
DAYTON – The University of Dayton women’s basketball team defeated VCU on Sunday 67-62.
Dayton improved to 12-1 overall and a perfect 11-0 in conference play while VCU fell to 9-9 on the season and 7-4 in the A-10.
2nd quarter – Dayton went on a 16-2 run over 4:49 to take a 31-28 lead. The Flyers were trailing by as much as 11 in the quarter, but still stormed back for a halftime lead.
1st Quarter: Dayton 15, VCU 22
- VCU started the game strong, but the Flyers tied the game at 11-11, connecting on three-3 pointers.
- VCU parlayed strong shooting (57.1%) into a 13-11 lead at the first media timeout.
- Freshman Tenin Magassa halted a 9-0 VCU run with a tough bucket in the paint, making the score 20-13 and bringing the Flyers back to life.
- Both teams ended a fast-paced 1st Quarter by missing their last four field goals, with neither team having scored in the final 2:07.
- Redshirt Senior Jenna Giacone led the Flyers with five points.
2nd Quarter: Dayton 35, VCU 33
- Magassa had two more strong finishes in the paint, including an And-1 to make the score 28-22, VCU.
- The Flyers began to lock in on defense, limiting VCU to 6 points on 33% shooting before the first media timeout at 5:02
- Dayton went on a 12-2 run, hitting 4/5 Field Goals in the middle of the quarter, and cut the VCU lead to just one point at the first media timeout.
- The Flyers clawed all the way back, taking a 29-28 lead on a bucket by Sophomore Mariah Perez at 4:28.
- Redshirt Senior Araion Bradshaw helped spark the Flyers lead, dropping 5 assists in the quarter.
- Dayton ended the quarter making 6 of their last 8 field goals.
3rd Quarter: Dayton 55, VCU 47
- Dayton continued its momentum after halftime, stretching their lead all the way up to nine points after an 8-0 run.
- Erin Whalen hit two-3’s in the span of 30 seconds, giving her a game high 14 points.
- The Flyers carried an eight-point lead into the first media timeout at 4:47.
- Defense was the name of the game, as Dayton held VCU without a field goal in the last 3:40 of the quarter.
- The Flyers outscored the Spiders 20-14 in the quarter.
4th Quarter: Dayton 67, VCU 62
- Whalen hit her fifth three of the game, breaking her season-high for three-pointers made.
- Giacone broke out of a slump, slicing through the lane for two consecutive layups to stretch the Dayton lead to 12.
- VCU battled back, cutting the lead to five after a 7-0 run into a media timeout at 4:12.
- Giacone hit another clutch layup, breaking a 7+ minute scoring drought, and putting the Flyers up by four with 33 seconds left.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
9– Bradshaw racked up 9 assists, setting her season high and tying her career high.
21 – Whalen poured in 21 points, her highest total in conference play.
9 – Giacone had 9 of the Flyers 12 points in the 4th quarter, helping seal the win.
39 – Dayton outrebounded VCU 39-32, led by Mariah Perez grabbing nine.
28 – UD dominated the paint, scoring 28 points in the key to VCU’s 12. Giacone chipped in with three slashing layups in the lane to help stretch the Dayton lead in the 4th quarter.
Dayton will stay home and take on Saint Louis on Saturday. Tip is at 2 PM ET.
GAME RECAP COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS