DAYTON — The University of Dayton Flyers will play their third game in seven days, and second straight road game, when they play at Davidson on Friday, Jan. 8. Game time is 9 p.m. ET.
Dayton is 5-3, and 1-2 in the Atlantic 10 after being upset at Fordham, 55-54 on Tuesday. The Flyers were led by Jalen Crutcher’s 14 points. Mustapha Amzil added 10. Jordy Tshimanga grabbed a career-high 16 rebounds, tying the most in the A-10 this year.
The game will carried by WHIO Radio, televised on ESPN2 and streamed on WatchESPN. Streaming audio, video and stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Moving into a more visibly primary role this year, Jalen Crutcher is getting the kind of attention from the media during the preseason that he will no doubt get from opponents during the season. He was on the Naismith, Wooden, NABC and Bob Cousy Award Watch Lists.
• Crutcher, a four-year starter, was ranked the 12th-best player in the country by ESPN, 16th in CBSSports.com’s top college basketball players. The Athletic rated him sixth among its top 20 guards in the country. He was also named Second Team Preseason All-America by Stadium.
• Keep in mind that Crutcher was UD’s co-MVP last season, with Obi Toppin. Crutcher is the first Flyer with 1,200 points, 500 assists and 200 three-pointers.
• Crutcher has lived up to his nickname of “Clutcher” in all four of Dayton’s wins, scoring UD’s final points in the last seconds at the line to clinch the victories.
•If a “true freshman” is a player who signed the previous year and is playing without redshirting, can you call a player who signed in November and scores 22 points in December start a “truer freshman?” We call him Mustapha Amzil, and the 22 points he scored in first college game were the most at UD in 14 years. He then had 15 vs. GMU (with 6 reb & 4 asst).
• Amzil was A-10 Rookie of the Week exactly 50 days after he signed with UD on Nov. 16.
• “True” freshman Koby Brea also made his first appearance in the La Salle game, and then got his first start vs. GMU. He missed the first five games of the year with a wrist injury.
• Zimi Nwokeji stepped up in the GMU win, with seven points and six rebounds in 25 minutes of action. He had only played 18 minutes with no points or rebounds prior to that this year.
• Rodney Chatman had surgery for a torn ligament on his right hand on Jan. 5, with a 6-to-8 week expected recovery. He was the only returnee who started every game last season. An elite defender, he held several of the best guards UD faced last year well under their average, including NBA top draft pick Anthony Edwards, Jordan Ford and Fatts Russell. He scored 21 points and was superb defending All-SEC guard Devontae Shuler vs. Ole Miss.
• Ibi Watson is third on the team in scoring (15.3) and second in minutes (39.0), and percentage-wise, is a 50-40-80 guy. He shoots 50% FG, 44% from 3-pt. and 86% from the line.
• Jordy Tshimanga pulled down 16 rebounds at Fordham, the most by a Flyer in three years.
• Coach Anthony Grant was the consensus national coach of the year in 2019-20, the first UD basketball coach to earn that honor.
• Dayton is back home on Wednesday, Jan. 15, when Duquesne comes to town at 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS