Coastal Carolina’s win is the first-ever win over a top-10 FBS team
CONWAY, S.C. – With a 22-17 lead in the final seconds of the fourth quarter, Coastal Carolina’s Mateo Sudipo tackled BYU’s Dax Milne at the one-yard line as time ran off the game clock to give the Chanticleers the five-point win over the No. 8 nationally-ranked Cougars on Saturday night at Brooks Stadium in Conway, S.C.
The win is the first-ever over a top-10 FBS nationally-ranked team and the second win over a top-25 nationally-ranked foe in program history, both of which have come this season.
Coastal is 10-0 to start the season, the best start in Sun Belt Conference football history, and the second time in school history since starting 11-0 in 2014.
The Chanticleers have now won 10-straight games this season and 11 consecutive contests dating back to last year.
With both teams agreeing to take the game on Thursday of this week, the Chanticleers totaled 281 yards of rushing against a BYU defense which entered the game sixth nationally in fewest rushing yards allowed at 88.3 rushing yards per game.
The Coastal defense held the high-powered BYU offense to just 17 points, a season-low for the Cougars who were averaging 47.6 points per game which ranked fourth nationally.
Coastal was outgained by BYU 405-366 in total yards but held a 281-165 advantage in rushing yards and a 37:51 to 22:09 in time of possession.
Senior CJ Marable led the way with 132 rushing yards and two scores on 23 carries, his second-straight 100-yard rushing game, and also caught three passes for 10 yards.
BYU’s Zach Wilson, a Heisman Trophy candidate, was 19-of-30 for 240 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the loss. He also rushed 10 times for 55 yards, while running back Tyler Allgeier ran 13 times for 106 yards and a score and Milne caught six passes for 106 yards and a touchdown.
The Chanticleers (10-0, 7-0 Sun Belt) are slated to wrap up the regular-season schedule at Troy (5-5, 3-3 Sun Belt), a rescheduled game from Nov. 14 that was postponed due to COVID-19 protocols at Troy.
- Lee Corso on ESPN College GameDay was undefeated at 11-0 this season in his headgear picks before picking against the Chanticleers this week.
- Saturday night’s win over No. 8 BYU is the highest-ever victory over an FBS nationally-ranked opponent.
- The win is the second-ever over a top-25 nationally-ranked opponent with both wins coming this year having also won at then-No. 21 Louisiana on Oct. 14.
- The 10 wins this season are the most in a single season for the Chanticleers in the program’s young FBS history.
- The Chants’ 10-0 start is the best start by any football team in Sun Belt Conference history.
- CCU’s 10-0 start is the second-best start in school history, as the Chants started 11-0 in 2014.
- Pushed Coastal’s current winning streak to 10-straight games this season and 11 consecutive games dating back to last year.
- CJ Marable’s first-quarter reception gives him 30-straight games with a reception, a new CCU record eclipsing Matt Hazel’s mark of 29 consecutive games from 2011-13.
- With his 100-yard rushing game, CJ Marable has rushed for 100 yards in back-to-back games and nine times in his career at CCU.
- With his two touchdowns in the game, CJ Marable has scored two touchdowns or more in six games this season and has scored in every game after not finding the end zone in the season opener at Kansas (Sept. 12).
- Junior cornerback Derick Bush recorded his first career sack in the second quarter.
- Jaivon Heiligh had his consecutive streak of games with at least one reception snapped at 23-straight games.
For complete coverage of CCU football, follow the Chants on social media @CoastalFootball (Twitter), facebook.com/CCUChanticleers (Facebook), @GoCCUsports (Instagram) or visit the official home of Coastal Carolina Athletics at www.GoCCUsports.com.
GAME RECAP COURTESY OF COASTAL CAROLINA ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS